1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Control orders

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057562.stm

Last night's news - 2 terrorist suspects are on the run, blah blah blah

CM's comment - they'll be talking about putting new powers in place next then, and need to scare us first

Today's news - "A Home Office minister has suggested the overnment might seek to strengthen control orders after it emerged two terror suspects had gone on the run. .......Mr McNulty hinted at the need for a stronger version of control orders which would depart from the European Convention on Human Rights. ....Control orders were brought in for cases where people are suspected of being involved in terrorism-related activity, but there is not enough evidence for a criminal prosecution. They were introduced last year after Law Lords ruled it was illegal for the government to hold terror suspects indefinitely in jail without charge or trial."

Maybe I shouldn't watch the news just after watching Spooks, but is it just me that wonders whether there really are 2 dangerous people on the run at all ?

There'll be tanks at Heathrow again next :rolleyes:

Footnote: Its OK though because despite these people being so dangerous that the Government would have locked them up for ever without trial given its way, "In response to suggestions the two suspects could carry out an attack at any time, Mr McNulty said: "On balance, I don't think that's the case at all." "

You can't have it both ways dude !

So - are these 2 guys on the run, in a cell, in a pit, let go deliberately ? Discuss....... ;)

I'm beginning to realise that I am so disullusioned with Government by spin that I struggle to believe anything I'm told by anyone any more :eek:

Still, Spooks was good :)

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
CheekyMonkey said:
Control orders

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057562.stm

Last night's news - 2 terrorist suspects are on the run, blah blah blah

CM's comment - they'll be talking about putting new powers in place next then, and need to scare us first

Today's news - "A Home Office minister has suggested the overnment might seek to strengthen control orders after it emerged two terror suspects had gone on the run. .......Mr McNulty hinted at the need for a stronger version of control orders which would depart from the European Convention on Human Rights. ....Control orders were brought in for cases where people are suspected of being involved in terrorism-related activity, but there is not enough evidence for a criminal prosecution. They were introduced last year after Law Lords ruled it was illegal for the government to hold terror suspects indefinitely in jail without charge or trial."

Maybe I shouldn't watch the news just after watching Spooks, but is it just me that wonders whether there really are 2 dangerous people on the run at all ?

There'll be tanks at Heathrow again next :rolleyes:

Footnote: Its OK though because despite these people being so dangerous that the Government would have locked them up for ever without trial given its way, "In response to suggestions the two suspects could carry out an attack at any time, Mr McNulty said: "On balance, I don't think that's the case at all." "

You can't have it both ways dude !

So - are these 2 guys on the run, in a cell, in a pit, let go deliberately ? Discuss....... ;)

I'm beginning to realise that I am so disullusioned with Government by spin that I struggle to believe anything I'm told by anyone any more :eek:

Still, Spooks was good :)
yes i agree 100%

spooks was good :incheek:

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
CheekyMonkey said:
LOL :D

Definitely shouldn't be on just before the news though :)
i personally reckon theres three possibilitys

1,its an effort to ligitimise further law
2,they have been turned
3,our crap,couldnt organise a piss up quagmire of a society simply balls'd up in a keystone cops group 4 stylee

i go for number 3 ;)

·
Banned
266 Posts
Since the end of the cold war, we've needed to be scared about something else ;) otherwise, we'd all be enjoying ourselves far too much, all that freedom and looking to tomorrow to make plans for our lives. So hey, lets have some terrorism, not like it was in the 70's with the IRA giving warnings before they blew us up, no, lets have something which seems far more sinister and so we're all scared shitless and paranoid about each other. Something that will keep us wondering about our neoghbour, our best friend, even our own family. Works, don't it :bandit:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Perhaps they haven't been "lost"!

Consider this.

2 dubious blokes run away from house arrest. M.I.whoever don't admit this, and go and find them, follow them and watch where they go for a couple of weeks, to see who they meet, who shelters them etc ......

When they have enough info, the Government manufactures a "leak" that the two are out on the hoof and M.Iwhoever then watch what the "watched" do in response.

Great way to get intelligence info.

Just a thought.

Joe Public will never get to find out what the Spooks are up to, depsite all the hassle from the Press and some Ministers. There will always be a cover up, and quite rightly so. Nefarious underhand dealings have kept this and many other countries going on the straight and narrow for a very long time. It's all a huge game of cat and mouse, and despite all the hi tech Spookery as seen on TV, some of the simplest underhand tricks still work the best ( as seen on Spooks last night) - bribery, honey trap, blackmail........

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Me like Patriots

the earth really moves when they lift off :D

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hermand said:
Spooks was shit - it ain't got nothing on the originals.
have been watching the older ones on various satellite channels, and do prefer them, but still enjoyed it - maybe it appeals to the frustrated agent in the desk bound bore that I have become :)

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
CheekyMonkey said:
have been watching the older ones on various satellite channels, and do prefer them, but still enjoyed it - maybe it appeals to the frustrated agent in the desk bound bore that I have become :)
:D Hmm, think I fancy myself the Series 1 DVDs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What gets me, is how they get everyone into a panic state by informing the public that there are 2 dangerous terrorists on the run, somewhere in the country, but then say they cannot tell us their names, or show us what they look like :rolleyes: :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts