Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, 79 bay through its fan belt and the lady- we hire the vans out- driving it continued to drive till the bitter end, hence a cooked engine. it no longer has any compression (or appears not to) it turns over ok so not seized. local handy vw garage man tells me its probably means new valves, and pistons,rings and liners...... what else may I expect from a cooked engine?? anyone experiencing a similar thing please let me know.....just ordered a replacement brand new engine from vw heritage can anyone give feedback on these?

ta Olly

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,670 Posts
I have had two experiences with VW Heritage engines and neither of them were good. But others have no bother with them.

I assume you are billing the daft bint that cooked your engine?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
just ordered a replacement brand new engine from vw heritage can anyone give feedback on these?

ta Olly
Very poor build quality and questionable parts from an external inspection only, however the one supplied by a customer for me to fit in a Bay is still going...

Good luck, Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When my engine cooked itself it picked up the main bearings. It wasn't through a broken fan belt, it was a top end rebuild without touching the bottom end...which turned out to be worn...lesson learned. Maybe wire in a buzzer to the ignition light so when the belt brakes the light and buzzer comes on as an extra warning. Mount the buzzer by the drivers head.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hey everyone, 79 bay through its fan belt and the lady- we hire the vans out- driving it continued to drive till the bitter end, hence a cooked engine. it no longer has any compression (or appears not to) it turns over ok so not seized. local handy vw garage man tells me its probably means new valves, and pistons,rings and liners...... what else may I expect from a cooked engine?? anyone experiencing a similar thing please let me know.....just ordered a replacement brand new engine from vw heritage can anyone give feedback on these?

ta Olly
Driving with a broken fan belt will usually seize the rings before the main bearings (hence your engine turns over), however there could be debris from the piston which has found its way into the oil system and done damage to all the bearings so a top-end-only rebuild is unwise. It is not usually economical to repair such a damaged engine if longevity is to be expected.

Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys for the feedback, I was hoping for some positive news on the vw heritage engines, but they come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty... so surely that give me time to turn up any issues........mmmm lets hope

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For the record, I do quite a bit of work in the factory where they build the engines for heritage, well, the ones that have been built by them in the last 3-4 years, and if I hadn't built my own, I would be comfortable using one of theirs.

QC is unbelievable, there is no way that a back street garage would be able to match it, you should take a look in the scrap bin, it would make you cry with the stuff they chuck.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
For the record, I do quite a bit of work in the factory where they build the engines for heritage, well, the ones that have been built by them in the last 3-4 years, and if I hadn't built my own, I would be comfortable using one of theirs.

QC is unbelievable, there is no way that a back street garage would be able to match it, you should take a look in the scrap bin, it would make you cry with the stuff they chuck.
Sorry, but not my experience:

1. 'Cool Tin' lower cylinder air deflectors fitted that were only intended for T3 engines having the crankshaft mounted fan.
  2. Crankcase appears to be sealed with excessive compound of a setting nature (it appears to be grey silicone), fragments being visible internally on the flinger disc. Sealant should be non-setting and oil soluble to avoid possible oilway blockage.
  3. Aluminium swarf inside head.
  4. Aluminium swarf in sump at first oil change.
  5. Rocker cover gasket 'glued in' using excessive blue compound that has run down inside the cover. Not required on rocker covers with gasket retaining tags.
  6. Excessive grease applied to head side of rocker cover gasket.
  7. Rocker cover bails mild steel; should be spring temper. Very little tension left after very few rocker cover removals and re-fitting.
  8. Rocker cover edges razor sharp - cut all finger tips on left hand when first moving block.
  9. Rocker end float measured from under 0.002" (risk of seizing) to 0.019" (increased wear and noise).
  10. Rockers excessive radial clearance as shaft considerably undersize at 17.92mm. VW wear limit 17.95mm.
  11. Standard gland nut questionable economy on a performance engine.
  12. Interesting countersinking of inlet ports at manifold mounting face.
  13. Engine mounting studs only suitable for Type 1 gearbox.
  14. Rocker shaft stud damaged; required replacement. Extremely difficult removal as installed using stud locking compound to full thread engagement. Nut also damaged; appeared to be of poor quality and required replacement.
  15. Exhaust ports cast considerably off-centre in relation to fixing studs resulting in standard gasket partially blocking port by about 4mm.
  16. Exhaust studs excessive length even for thick header flanges.
  17. Serrated washers used against rocker shaft aluminium end pieces. Very poor engineering practice as washer will embed into soft material and bolt tension will be reduced.
  18. One sump plate stud wound out with nut at first oil change - fortunately not the pickup retaining stud... Inadequately secured and over-long resulting in nut bottoming on stud end before gaskets/strainer/sump plate properly clamped.

Not the sort of quality I would let out of my doors so, in my opinion, on this particular 1776, QC is far from '... unbelievable...'. It appears typical of the current attitude towards the air-cooled owner as a Cash Cow to be milked for as much as possible for poor quality goods whilst the scene is buoyant.

Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry, but not my experience:

1. 'Cool Tin' lower cylinder air deflectors fitted that were only intended for T3 engines having the crankshaft mounted fan.
  2. Crankcase appears to be sealed with excessive compound of a setting nature (it appears to be grey silicone), fragments being visible internally on the flinger disc. Sealant should be non-setting and oil soluble to avoid possible oilway blockage.
  3. Aluminium swarf inside head.
  4. Aluminium swarf in sump at first oil change.
  5. Rocker cover gasket 'glued in' using excessive blue compound that has run down inside the cover. Not required on rocker covers with gasket retaining tags.
  6. Excessive grease applied to head side of rocker cover gasket.
  7. Rocker cover bails mild steel; should be spring temper. Very little tension left after very few rocker cover removals and re-fitting.
  8. Rocker cover edges razor sharp - cut all finger tips on left hand when first moving block.
  9. Rocker end float measured from under 0.002" (risk of seizing) to 0.019" (increased wear and noise).
  10. Rockers excessive radial clearance as shaft considerably undersize at 17.92mm. VW wear limit 17.95mm.
  11. Standard gland nut questionable economy on a performance engine.
  12. Interesting countersinking of inlet ports at manifold mounting face.
  13. Engine mounting studs only suitable for Type 1 gearbox.
  14. Rocker shaft stud damaged; required replacement. Extremely difficult removal as installed using stud locking compound to full thread engagement. Nut also damaged; appeared to be of poor quality and required replacement.
  15. Exhaust ports cast considerably off-centre in relation to fixing studs resulting in standard gasket partially blocking port by about 4mm.
  16. Exhaust studs excessive length even for thick header flanges.
  17. Serrated washers used against rocker shaft aluminium end pieces. Very poor engineering practice as washer will embed into soft material and bolt tension will be reduced.
  18. One sump plate stud wound out with nut at first oil change - fortunately not the pickup retaining stud... Inadequately secured and over-long resulting in nut bottoming on stud end before gaskets/strainer/sump plate properly clamped.

Not the sort of quality I would let out of my doors so, in my opinion, on this particular 1776, QC is far from '... unbelievable...'. It appears typical of the current attitude towards the air-cooled owner as a Cash Cow to be milked for as much as possible for poor quality goods whilst the scene is buoyant.

Cheers, Carl.
Was it one of the 'high performance' 1776s?
Based on the aluminium autolinea case, full flow tapped and plugged on the upper and lower gallery?

If so, those are sent direct from Heritage in a kit form, they use scat rocker covers, scat bolt together shafts, shite empi 044 heads, and, yes I agree, some debatable quality parts.

If I were to purchase one, I would go for the remanufactured unit as they use as many of the genuine vw parts as they can which are within tolerance during the rebuild process.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Was it one of the 'high performance' 1776s?
Based on the aluminium autolinea case, full flow tapped and plugged on the upper and lower gallery?

If so, those are sent direct from Heritage in a kit form, they use scat rocker covers, scat bolt together shafts, shite empi 044 heads, and, yes I agree, some debatable quality parts.

If I were to purchase one, I would go for the remanufactured unit as they use as many of the genuine vw parts as they can which are within tolerance during the rebuild process.
Yes it was. I'm sure they were impeccable when Tony Royston used to build them, but, based on this example, I would not give them house room. Real backyard schoolboy stuff.:(:(:(

Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heritage engines = pile of useless rubbish
Heritage service when dealing with the issues = words can't be expressed without being banned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts