• Of course it can

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • Rodney, you plonker, no chance.

Votes: 149 76.8%
1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
A bloke I know from the pub has a mate who's brother in law's cousin actually did that.

He also put a 911 engine into a beetle. Four bolts, fitted right in.

'parrently

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The answer is 'Yes', it would ;)

I thought about the airflow thing, and I argued that it wouldn't - and then, one day I realised it would.

You see, it's all about the wheels.

Most people fall into the trap of thinking that if the treadmill is going 180mph backwards then the plane needs to go 180mph forwards just to stay in the same position - after all, that's how it would work in a car.

But, in a plane, the forward motion is not driven by the wheels, it's driven by the big old jet or propeller - the wheels are just there as a way of keeping it off the ground.

So, if you've got your treadmill going 180mph backwards, all the plane needs to do is to turn on the engines and take off as normal.

Yes, the wheels would be spinning much faster than normal, but the amount of forward thrust produced by the plane would have to be no different ;)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
The answer is 'Yes', it would ;)

I thought about the airflow thing, and I argued that it wouldn't - and then, one day I realised it would.

You see, it's all about the wheels.

Most people fall into the trap of thinking that if the treadmill is going 180mph backwards then the plane needs to go 180mph forwards just to stay in the same position - after all, that's how it would work in a car.

But, in a plane, the forward motion is not driven by the wheels, it's driven by the big old jet or propeller - the wheels are just there as a way of keeping it off the ground.

So, if you've got your treadmill going 180mph backwards, all the plane needs to do is to turn on the engines and take off as normal.

Yes, the wheels would be spinning much faster than normal, but the amount of forward thrust produced by the plane would have to be no different ;)
i hope you're joking:D

1 - 20 of 394 Posts