Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I've seen an ideal set of seats in the colour that I've been looking for but the only problem is they are 2 point whereas I need 3 point. Can they be modified in any way in order to fit? Alternatively, I also know of a pair of original highback seats but these are also 2 point, can the seat backs be swapped?

Secondly, I've been slowly collecting parts for a 1776cc engine build for my bay single cab and I'm debating whether to run with stock heat exchangers or J-tubes/pipes. I'd prefer to keep warm in the winter but might look at alternative heating as I'd also like to get a bit more power out of the engine, so are J-tubes really a worthwhile modification?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I thought J-tubes were like the bit of the heat exchanger that the exhaust gas passes through, but without the fins and the bit the fresh air passes though i.e. I didn't think they had any effect on the power of the engine?

As for the seats, wouldn't be easier to find a set of seats that fit your car and get new covers than to start modifying metalwork because you like the colour of the upholstery?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LuAn said:
I thought J-tubes were like the bit of the heat exchanger that the exhaust gas passes through, but without the fins and the bit the fresh air passes though i.e. I didn't think they had any effect on the power of the engine?

As for the seats, wouldn't be easier to find a set of seats that fit your car and get new covers than to start modifying metalwork because you like the colour of the upholstery?
Thanks for your reply and no offence but not really much help. Yes the J-tubes are replacements for the exchangers but because of the lack of fins it allows for better flow of exhaust gases and better flow of gases = an increase in power (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). It's the same theory behind merged 4 into 1 headers.

As for the seats - yes it would be easier to find a set of seats that fit my car but to get new seat covers in the colour scheme of my choice = expensive; to find a set of 3 point seats in the colour of my choice = near impossible; to buy a set of seats that fit the colour criteria but are the wrong fitment = by far the cheapest option, and I was hoping that someone might be able to share some wisdom on how they could be modified.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone else got any ideas?

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
J tubes aren't going to help with power, they are identical inside to stock heat exchangers. The only exhausts that will increase power are roper merged systems.
Re the seats, but the 2 rail hibacks and swap the backs. You cannot mix and match bits from 3 point seats,they are totally totally different.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks for that but why are 4 into 1 headers and j-tubes sold as 'performance' systems?

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
becasue 4into1/merged sytems are larger bore, which lets the engine get rid of the exhausted gases quicker....

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So in that case, why would anyone want to bin their heating and replace with something with no significant purpose :confused:

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
the stock J tubs from GSF/SSP etc... are no larger in bore, 9/10 times when somone coverts to J tubs is becasue they cant afford the expensive heat extangers in the peak of the summer etc...

or like me, added ground clearance...lol

anyway, most cheap Empi etc, 4into1 manifolds/headers will bolt up to standard heat extangers/ J tubs, the more performance mearged systems come with there own J tubes as all the lengths of tube which merge toghther are (as close as possible) the same length. and are generally a larger bore...

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for enlightening me dude, I was always under the impression that J-tubes improved the flow and therefore added a bit of power. Think I'll stick with me heat exchangers then :). Anyone fancy an Eberspacher BN4 heater surplus to requirements? :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jonny 5 said:
Yes the J-tubes are replacements for the exchangers but because of the lack of fins it allows for better flow of exhaust gases and better flow of gases = an increase in power (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).
Well I'm not 100% sure about this but when I saw a cutaway view of a heat exchanger (to illustrate the difference between repro and original - original have more fins), the fins were on the 'outside' i.e. take a heat exchangers, strip away the outer case, remove the fins, and you're left with a j-tube. (Not that you'd do it that way but it illustrates my understanding of what a j-tube is.)

J-tubes may be listed with performance parts because if you get rid of the heat exchangers you have no internal heating and can get rid of lots of other bits that are now redundant thus reducing the weight of the car.

Jonny 5 said:
As for the seats - yes it would be easier to find a set of seats that fit my car but
Understood. The floorpans on my '69 bug need replacing and I'm going to use post 72 pans so I can install the later 3 point mount seats that I like.

When you say 2 point seats am I right in thinking that you mean the pre 91 runners or do you mean something else. If you can give me a bit more information I may be able to point you in the right direction as I've been researching seating options in order to come to a decision about what I am going to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts