Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at the photos below of my crankcase. I had it line bored last year 0.5mm with a 1mm thrust. New bearings went in and the engine has only done a 1000 or so miles since.

Mains 1,2 and 3 show this wear but you can only feel it with your finger on 1 and a little on 2. I can't get any decent diameter readings as I only have a cheap crappy digital vernier at home (need to borrow a 50-75mm micrometer from work tomorrow)

I am building up a 1955 stroker and I want to make sure this case is ok otherwise I'll have to get a new one.

Cheers, Adrian

·
Lord Von Hannover
20,583 Posts
how snug do the bearings fit to the case? do they drop in, or are they almost a tap fit?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How was the oil pressure? Bearing look a little more scored than I'd like to see from an engine thats only done 1000 miles but i've seen much worse. When it goes back together clean clean clean everything 3 times. Then do it again. This is where scoring comes from on new engines, bit of crap in the oil. Use a good assembly lube with the rebuild, crank for oil pressure before starting, and when it's built, never sit in traffic or at a light with your foot on the clutch - shift it into neutral.

You always see some marking like that on a fresh line bored case thats seen any use, but you'll find that it won't get any worse for a long time. In my experience, and if it was my case that looked like that, I'd run it as is.

:)
tom.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul - they seem to take a bit of pressure to pop in place which is a good thing. I'll double check tomorrow.

Tom - Thats good to hear! I'll do some more measurements when Ive borrowed a larger micrometer from work. Case prices are crazy at the moment I really would rather not have to shell out for one.

Cheers,

Adrian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts