Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An American company has managed to acquire a large quantity of genuine VW Type 1 crankcases. The problem is that these cases are specifically for the local Brazil Type 2 model, are single relief, have very small oil galleries and a tiny oil pick-up tube. They are being passed off as late style dual relief cases!

Already, US retail outlets are returning these units to the supplier, which is a good thing though will lead to other problems. These cases are going to go somewhere and if the US clients don't want them then they will look further afield. It is possible that they will be bought up by engine rebuilders and you may find them on your nice new engine. They may be sold to retailers who don't care about anything but the price. So be careful when purchasing anything that involves a new crankcase, for the foreseeable future! Double check everything!! They may even wind up eventually looking like dual relief, but not really.

I know that some reputable UK outlets are already aware of the problem, so some confidence should remain. I will do my best to track these cases and inform when I can, as I hope anyone else with information will do too.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Ditto above.

Would be handy if we could get the casting / part codes of the offending cases or other obvious external signs.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The easiest way of identifying these cases is to look at the area where you would have found the mounting flange for the Type 3 oil filler (lower, rear, outside right corner). There will be no hole or studs for the oil filler but, in the location of where the top stud would have been, there will be a threaded hole. This is for the fixing of a sensor on the Brazilian model. The original part number for the case is: 040 101 025.16, but you will not find that number anywhere on it.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
ill keep a look out, who's the supplier !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the advice Peter!

This sort of thing is exactly what these forums are about in my view, everyone looking out for everyone else!

:hangloose

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Is it worth emailing this news round all the UK engine builders and case suppliers? Not all of them read this.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
M.I.B said:
Is it worth emailing this news round all the UK engine builders and case suppliers? Not all of them read this.
If there are engine builders out there that could build an engine and not spot this i'd be very dubious about ever using them anyway! And case suppliers (well EMPI retailers anyhow) will be more than aware through the EMPI press release that will be faxed to them - them passing this info on to the customer though is another thing...

tom.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand that these cases are currenlty being modified for dual relief, so don't rely on that method for identifcation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Peter said:
The easiest way of identifying these cases is to look at the area where you would have found the mounting flange for the Type 3 oil filler (lower, rear, outside right corner). There will be no hole or studs for the oil filler but, in the location of where the top stud would have been, there will be a threaded hole. This is for the fixing of a sensor on the Brazilian model. The original part number for the case is: 040 101 025.16, but you will not find that number anywhere on it.
Few alright for me cuz I need a type 3 engine, but thanks for the warning ;)

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Beware also of the Autolinea aluminium 'clearanced' cases. No-one can argue that these are fantastic value for money and make a great starting point for a big engine, however I know of two instances where the distributor drive shaft fouled on an unmachined part of the case and would require complete disassembly to rectify. I was lucky - I checked the fit before assembling the case, the other guy found out on a completed short engine! I believe he said something like '...oh bother...' or words to that effect.

Whilst we are generally whinging about cases, always check the bore sizes when a case has been line-bored. In my experience, I have NEVER had a case line bored by ANYBODY in this country that has been within tolerance on all the bores, and I have used most people. I can attribute four engine failures that I have personal knowledge of to this problem so now I use new cases only. Carl.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Beetlebank said:
Beware also of the Autolinea aluminium 'clearanced' cases. No-one can argue that these are fantastic value for money and make a great starting point for a big engine, however I know of two instances where the distributor drive shaft fouled on an unmachined part of the case and would require complete disassembly to rectify. I was lucky - I checked the fit before assembling the case, the other guy found out on a completed short engine! I believe he said something like '...oh bother...' or words to that effect.
I recently ordered what i thought was going to be an AS41 mag-alloy 'case from BBT but instead an Autolinea one turned up instead. I rang them and said I didn't order an aluminium 'case because it's very heavy and the castings finishing work on it looks like it was done by a GCSE student. The two 'case halves don't even look like they match up as the strengthening ribs on the top of the 'case don't even align!
BBT assured me it was fine and that it is now impossible to get the AS41 mag-alloy cases as nobody in the world makes them anymore. Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no idea where BBT came up with that scenario! There has been only one company, in the last 20 years (approx), who have been making VW magnesium alloy cases, and that is VW Brazil. They still make them (five different versions), and in much larger quantities than any other company manufacturing aftermarket cases for VW aircooled engines.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Peter said:
I have no idea where BBT came up with that scenario! There has been only one company, in the last 20 years (approx), who have been making VW magnesium alloy cases, and that is VW Brazil. They still make them (five different versions), and in much larger quantities than any other company manufacturing aftermarket cases for VW aircooled engines.
I was under the impression that VW of Brazil no longer make the AS41 case and that the tooling has been sold to Auto Linea. They are currently not in production but Auto linea should be set up to produce the mag. case in the near future - Hence the price hike you see everywhere. I bought a CB Supercase less than a year ago for $350 ish - they are now well over $500.

To say they are unavailable though is rubbish - they are still knocking about from the last production run. GSF have just received a shipment as have Euro car parts, and VW Heritage have them in stock. I'd send that ali case back if I was you, you've been deceived and they've sent you something you didn't want.

tom.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GermanLkManx said:
I was under the impression that VW of Brazil no longer make the AS41 case and that the tooling has been sold to Auto Linea. They are currently not in production but Auto linea should be set up to produce the mag. case in the near future.....
VW Brazil were going to transfer production to an external supply company, but negotiations have failed to seal the deal and, as of this moment, VW Brazil continue to produce the mag cases 'in-house'. Also, although VW Brazil would not say who the "external" company would be, they did say that it was definately not Auto Linea.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Peter said:
VW Brazil were going to transfer production to an external supply company, but negotiations have failed to seal the deal and, as of this moment, VW Brazil continue to produce the mag cases 'in-house'. Also, although VW Brazil would not say who the "external" company would be, they did say that it was definately not Auto Linea.
I see! Good info, thanks!

tom.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts