Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every month I wait for the credit card bill to come in. I review and make payments from various sources (three different cheque books - dependent on what I bought).
I normally do this within a day or so of getting the bill.
I do it this way because it's easy to do the accounts and it's how I've always done it

This month I have no way of paying the bill on time
The statement was dated 13th Sept
It arrived 25th Sept
I reviwed it today (26th)
I was going to post the cheques tomorrow (27th).
They would arrive with the card company on 28th
They would present them at the bank on the 29th (day one of clearing)
30th = Sat
1st = Sun
2nd = day two of clearing
3rd = day three of clearing and also the payment deadline
Cheques would eventually clear by 5th or so ?

I called them to say I could not feasibly make the payment given the timescale dictated by them
They said that their standard procedure allows statemenst to be delivered with 10 (working) days after the statement date and it's basically tough shit. I can check my statemet online or via the phone. Great ! but I've never done it this way so why start now ?Plus it's not so easy doing this and keeping a good paper trail for the accountant.

Am I right in thinking they are being unreasonable here ?
I was trying to sort it out ahead of time but I got nowhere.

Realistic cause for a complaint ?

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Manzo said:
Realistic cause for a complaint ?
Possibly. . . . . .

They may well say "if you'd paid it on the day you go it, you'd not have a problem" (which is probably right) but go for it and I'd say a very good chance you won't get a late fee to pay.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
What company is it?

I used to work part time for MBNA then for Halifax.....its up to the discretion of the operator your talking to but they should refund you any fines, they will do if you havnt had any other fines in the last year or so.

If they dont for any reason, then threaten them with reporting them to the financial ombudsman, they will refund it then.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,983 Posts
I had a similair experience a few monhs a go. Bill sent out late and arrived after final payment date. I just rang up when my next bill came in, explained what had happened, was told "tough luck" threatened to cancel my card and immediately got the charges recinded. As Jan said, its down to the descrestion of the operator. Speak nicely and they will probably just refund you. But you will probably have to wait for next statement.

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
just call if you dont get any joy call again and speak to a different operator if still no joy ask to speak to a manager they will more than likley say as a one off goodwill gesture we will refund the charges on this one occasion but they are likely to not be able to do anything until showing on your next statement.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
surely if you have a good payment record then they would take this into consideration??

my bank payment failed to go through to the credit card once and i didn't know that it failed, but i still got charged the late payment fee. oh well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't get angry with me but...

The offical line from pretty much every Credit card company is that you know when your statement is due. It is up to you as the customer to manage your account not the Credit provider. Therefore you should when you realised that your statement had not arrived at the correct time you should have contacted the provider and asked what was on your statement - this is why Customer Services at Credit Card companies have access to your statements.

Right now we've dealt with the offical line. Goodwill payments - most Credit card companies I know of can refund a good will payment to your account if they have not done this for you in the previous 6-12 months.

This may not cover all of your interest/fines. Some firms restrict the amount an individual operator can refund, with managers able to authorise larger credits.

Additionally operators at some Banks, Capital One for example, cannot volunteer information about Goodwill payments/refunds to the account unless you bring the subject up with them first.

Just keep in mind the money doesn't come out of the operators pocket so they really don't care if they refund you so be polite and firm to them. Operators at these banks get yelled at by a silly amount of people and if the operator feels they are being screamed at then it will affect the service you receive.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Kal said:
Operators at these banks get yelled at by a silly amount of people and if the operator feels they are being screamed at then it will affect the service you receive.
Oh how true that is, never piss them guys off or you will get the run around.

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
why don't you (why haven't you ...) just set up a direct debit for the minimum payment to go from your account every month? that way you can then also pay off the extra you have spent by cheque while meeting their monthy payments ?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Manzo said:
I can check my statemet online or via the phone. Great ! but I've never done it this way so why start now ?
Because it would prevent this problem from happening in the future?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts