Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the sensible things and doing a few bits to uprate my brakes before getting anymore power under my decklid.

I have stock calipers and stock 4 stud disks on my 67 bug. I replaced the rear drums, lines and internals last year and all have been good. I recently replaced my disc pads adjusted the brakes expecting the braking to improve slightly as i knew they were out of adjustment. Unfortunately they just dont seem to be as good as they used to be. The calipers and pistons seem fine.

I am going to bleed the system and replace the front flexihoses and was thinking of buying crossdrilled disks to spice it up abit. Are these worth it and will i notice any diffference over stock solid disks?

I tend to drive my 1641 reasonably fast (legally of course) so would like to be able to stop before i add any more hp. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've got a set fitted to a car with a 1641 engine....it is probably fair to say that the cross drilled discs are more for show than braking effect. I reckon that in a car like a Bug with a moderately tuned engine you will never be driving it hard enough to gain the full benefit that cross-drilling brings to a braking system......they do look cool when fitted though :D

Just my opinion....I'm sure others differ....but for real braking improvements perhaps you should look at converting to a 4 wheel disc Porsche conversion.....but be warned you can end up over-braking yourself.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Get some Goodridge stainless braided hoses for an improved pedal feel. You could always try a 'fast road' type pad aswell. I don't know who makes them, sorry.

BB

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers guys. With a sorted 1641 with twin carbs im alwready finding breaking from 90mph interesting with stock discs so was looking for a lil improvement before i get the 1776 ;)

·
Registered
15,457 Posts
67' aKa RoboVw said:
cheers guys. With a sorted 1641 with twin carbs im alwready finding breaking from 90mph interesting with stock discs so was looking for a lil improvement before i get the 1776 ;)
what happened to the Talbot Horizon idea??

·
www.SS9Design.co.uk
12,554 Posts
cross-drilled wont affect perofrmance or stopping power, just surface (disc to pad) cooling and will often help prevent the pads glazing, too. The downside is increased pad wear (especially if you forget to chamfer the leading edge of your pads!) and noise, too. The ones I had on my bay (and those currently fitted to my fasty) have a kind of 'buzz' sound when the brakes are applied lightly.
they're mostly for looks on a mildly tuned VW, i'd imagine!

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I agree with Paul /\ /\ /\ .

I had them on my bug... they made a weird noise when braking.

I fitted Zimmerman ones, and after a year, they had corroded really bad, enough for an MOT failure. I won't be using cross drilled discs again.. :(

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
fitted Zimmerman ones, and after a year, they had corroded really bad, enough for an MOT failure. I won't be using cross drilled discs again..
Cad plating from new is the answer........ :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Paul Knight said:
cross-drilled wont affect perofrmance or stopping power, just surface (disc to pad) cooling and will often help prevent the pads glazing, too.
Pauls right, what your doing by having grooved or drilled pads is reducing the contact area for the brake pad but increasing the surface area for cooling the disc.
I'd probably go for a 4 pot upgrade although I've always found stock VW discs do a good job anyway.

G-out!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bristol_Bug said:
Get some Goodridge stainless braided hoses for an improved pedal feel. You could always try a 'fast road' type pad aswell. I don't know who makes them, sorry.

BB
Merlin Motorsport will make them up for you. Stainless braided Teflon- you'll never need to replace them under normal circumstances. I bought a set in the late eighties.
Oh, and the best bit? Back then, they were cheaper than genuine VW too! Might still be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts