Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, today i took appart a CU code motor it had some kind of crap in the inlet ports, looks like calcium ??
i decided to strip the motor to see what's what
history on the motor, i got it because it had no compresion on any of the cylinders
once get the rocker covers off, i see that all 4 inlet valves have dropped :confused:
once i get the heads offi can see that all the inlet valves have hit the pistons
what went wrong
the pushrods on each of the inlet valves are all bent

any idea what the fuck wenk on, i've seen one valve go, but never all 4 :confused:

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Those deposits are water ingress. For the valves to sit like that wouldn't the spring seats have to have collapsed? I would have thought on a dropped valve the seat wears and the valve disappears into the head, away from the piston.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those deposits are water ingress. For the valves to sit like that wouldn't the spring seats have to have collapsed? I would have thought on a dropped valve the seat wears and the valve disappears into the head, away from the piston.
i can't see how water got in there, it was a running engine, until it stopped {bang} :eek:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Looks as if the deposit has got in the valve guides from the inside, causing the valves to stop sliding. Have you tried getting them out? Also, is there any way that water could have got into fuel tank? This could have been the route of the ingress. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
judging by all the crud id say its overheated and losened the valve seats in the heads du tho poor cooling due to the crap all over the heads!

·
Registered
243 Posts
When one drops a valve, the valve becomes detached from the collets, and the pictures dont indicate this. From what you say it suggests that the inlet valves may have partially seized in their guides, this would explain the bent push rods, and the damage to the pistons as they attempt to close the valve
AL

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
What he said.
Dropped valves are nearly always exhaust because the heads and stems are friction welded together.When a guide wears, the head keeps hitting the seat askew and gets pissed off. Change the valves and guides and things should be OK. Use 021 101 417A exhaust guides and 021 101 403A inlets with the shoulders that stop them destroying themselves if they come loose.
You have had your valves sieze in the guides because of the naughty stuff that has gorn down the 'ole!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts