Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4471 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be a few threads around, but I thought I´d add a more general one, just for everyone to brag about how far they´ve ridden or ask questions or whatever.

I´m pretty pleased with myself after doing a long (for me) run out to a reservoir and back through the forest, on a lot of dirt tracks. It was about 43 miles in all and it took me a lot longer getting back than it did going out, on the nice smooth cycle path. Still very slow average speed, but since I ended up pushing it up some of the very steep stoney forest tracks, I wasn´t surprised. I keep telling myself it´s not a race anyway!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I managed to do Birmingham to Oxford, i think it was about 68 miles took me about 4 & half hours. :D

·
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to do Birmingham to Oxford, i think it was about 68 miles took me about 4 & half hours. :D
Bloody hell! Respect.:eek:

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Seeing as you've started, it'd be rude not to use it.:)

I've got a fixie, track/road bike. The gap between the top of the front forks and the rim of the wheel is very small, so when I adjust the brake blocks only half of them sits on the rim. I could file out the brake caliper so the blocks sit on the rim, but it's a nice bike and I'd rather not have a diy job on it.

Can you buy shortened brakes for such a problem?

Thanks.

·
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've got a fixie, track/road bike. The gap between the top of the front forks and the rim of the wheel is very small, so when I adjust the brake blocks only half of them sits on the rim. I could file out the brake caliper so the blocks sit on the rim, but it's a nice bike and I'd rather not have a diy job on it.

Thanks.
The smallest calipers that I´ve seen seem to have about a 5cm drop. It´s a bit major, but you could fit a front disc or drum brake I suppose.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I did the cuckoo trail down to Eastbourne the other day on my mountain bike towing my 3yr old in a bike buggy, did about 28miles.
killer on the way back as its mostly up hill.

What didn't help either was stopping off at the cuckoo's rest for a pint on the way back:rolleyes:

·
17,488 Posts

Thanks.
You should be able to get a short drop brake caliper. I have one bike with extremely tight clearances and I use a Dia-Compe clamp on brake. (Mainly because it's not drilled but it works well enough.)

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
The smallest calipers that I´ve seen seem to have about a 5cm drop. It´s a bit major, but you could fit a front disc or drum brake I suppose.
The minimum drop on mine is slightly under 5cm. I don't want to go down the disc/drum route as I like the clean, uncluttered look.

If it's possible to buy smaller calipers I would, otherwise I'll be having a word with Mr Vice and Mr File.:)

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
Jeez guys, my trip to work is 4 mile each way !!! I think I should step away from the keyboard or phone as it is now

·
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the one!
Are you supposed to fit these at the back of the fork, so they load onto the fork blades, or just on the front like normal? They look like they`d tear off those little brackets.

They do open up a whole world of old track bikes however...

·
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeez guys, my trip to work is 4 mile each way !!! I think I should step away from the keyboard or phone as it is now
No! Go out at the weekend and see how far you can get. I bet you`ll be surprised.

·
17,488 Posts
Are you supposed to fit these at the back of the fork, so they load onto the fork blades, or just on the front like normal? They look like they`d tear off those little brackets.

They do open up a whole world of old track bikes however...
Onto the front - there's very little clearance between the fork crown / wheel and the frame at the back.

It does flex a little and it's not as good as a 'proper' brake but it's definitely adequate.

·
Holy Calamity
67,058 Posts
I've just come back now from a quick ride, first chance I've had since Friday - we've had rain continuously since about half way through my ride that morning...

I've done my usual 14 mile route, in just over an hour... Apparently burning 818 calories :)

On Friday I did 32 miles, 1750 calories :)

I'm now juuuuust over 100 miles off my 500 mile target before I leave for Wörthersee on the 26th. If the weather stays dry I can do it... If it doesn't then I may struggle a bit!

Pic from a few weeks ago:

1980 Raleigh Esquire by retromotoring, on Flickr

:)

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
It does flex a little and it's not as good as a 'proper' brake but it's definitely adequate.
It'll do the job for me. I'm only looking for something to use in an emergency as I'm getting pretty good at stopping with my legs.

I can't lock it out yet for a skid though. How far forward do I need to transfer the weight to lock out?

·
17,488 Posts
It'll do the job for me. I'm only looking for something to use in an emergency as I'm getting pretty good at stopping with my legs.

I can't lock it out yet for a skid though. How far forward do I need to transfer the weight to lock out?
If you're out of the saddle you should be able to manage it - try practicing on grass (wet grass is especially good) to get your technique right.

1 - 20 of 4471 Posts