Volkszone Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 4471 Posts

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
D’oh! That’s a shame! You would think people would take more care. I guess they could even spread it to the riders?!

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
:lol:

I'm back. It wasn't cool to be honest, big crowd with not many wearing masks.

It's a shame, because I think pre-COVID it would have been a great 'street (village) party'.

I didn't stick around.

:)
:(

I was disappointed last weekend seeing some on the crowds on the hills. Masks on chins and shouting in the riders faces. The race is only happening by the skin of its teeth and they jeopardise it like that ...

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
D'oh! That's a shame! You would think people would take more care. I guess they could even spread it to the riders?!
:(

I was disappointed last weekend seeing some on the crowds on the hills. Masks on chins and shouting in the riders faces. The race is only happening by the skin of its teeth and they jeopardise it like that ...
Indeed. :(

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
What a time trial! What a race!!!!!

If you've got even a slight interest in sport, watch the highlights of the TdF tonight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
motivation needed

Right Ladies & Gents, I'm looking for a virtual kick up the backside.
I've always loved cycling. As a teenager I was in a local club and did the club rides and mid-week 10 mile time trials.

In my mid-30's to mid-40's I got back into cycling and mountain biking in particular. I wasn't going to worry the pro's, but I could ride off road for 2-3 hours or do 60 miles on the road quite regularly and still be able to walk the next day.

Somehow a mixture of work and laziness took hold and apart from about 6 months of weekly 1-2 hour MTB rides on a Sunday morning with some mates 2 years ago the riding just sort of stopped.

I'm now 15kg heavier than I was 2 years ago and really want to get back into cycling, but keep finding excuses to put it off.

What do you guys do for motivation? I just don't feel that I could keep up with local club rides any more (I'm now 55!)

Couldn't resist buying a new cycling shirt that I saw on eBay yesterday though.

Any tips to get the cycling bug back? I'm lucky enough to have a couple of decent-ish bikes, but at the moment they are expensive shed ornaments!!

Is there a couch to 5k equivalent for bikes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get on strava with your phone or a Garmin.
Addictive and keeps track of distance, calories and times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Get on strava with your phone or a Garmin.
Addictive and keeps track of distance, calories and times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Also consider indoor cycling through winter, I have found Zwift surprisingly motivational and meant when spring arrived I was in better shape than usual.

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Right Ladies & Gents, I'm looking for a virtual kick up the backside.
I've always loved cycling. As a teenager I was in a local club and did the club rides and mid-week 10 mile time trials.

In my mid-30's to mid-40's I got back into cycling and mountain biking in particular. I wasn't going to worry the pro's, but I could ride off road for 2-3 hours or do 60 miles on the road quite regularly and still be able to walk the next day.

Somehow a mixture of work and laziness took hold and apart from about 6 months of weekly 1-2 hour MTB rides on a Sunday morning with some mates 2 years ago the riding just sort of stopped.

I'm now 15kg heavier than I was 2 years ago and really want to get back into cycling, but keep finding excuses to put it off.

What do you guys do for motivation? I just don't feel that I could keep up with local club rides any more (I'm now 55!)

Couldn't resist buying a new cycling shirt that I saw on eBay yesterday though.

Any tips to get the cycling bug back? I'm lucky enough to have a couple of decent-ish bikes, but at the moment they are expensive shed ornaments!!

:lol:

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
Not really as you can always freewheel to recover and sit down while cycling. So in theory you can tootle around all day off the bat if you take it easy. Going faster and mastering hill climbs will come intuitively over time.

Whereas running/jogging is more about getting to continuous output while being upright. Much more energy required initially and also conditioning the joints/muscles/ligaments for repeated impacts over increased distances.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh, wow, that's really cool. He seems a really nice guy. And a VW bus owner!
He's exactly as he comes across in inverviews. A nice guy, smart and very grounded.

I must find out what he's done with his van (his dad's old work van) as he lives in Spain most of the time now. He was looking at refitting it as a camper van a while back.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
He's exactly as he comes across in inverviews. A nice guy, smart and very grounded.

I must find out what he's done with his van (his dad's old work van) as he lives in Spain most of the time now. He was looking at refitting it as a camper van a while back.
I saw him at the Worlds last year. He got off the bus after a long race in horrific conditions and spent time giving a jersey to some young fans. :hug:

Via his Instagram, he had the bus retrimmed last year by Madmatz. Weird to have an old bus you only use in the winter! :D

Anyway, onto the Vuelta now with Hugh Carthy :)

4441 - 4460 of 4471 Posts