Volkszone Forum banner
4481 - 4500 of 4563 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
My latest toy:

View attachment 297733

I was bored. It was local. It was a bit different, being a BSA, instead of a Raleigh. It is all there. There's even air in the tyres.

Whatcha been up to?
n+1 and all that....I've bought another one. 😁

It's not for me though. My youngest has outgrown her 24" wheeled mountain bike, so I picked up a small framed (15'l one, with 26' wheels. It's used, but has been looked after.

Photos to follow.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Does anyone know of a decent (reliable) site or YouTube channel for setting up your riding position correctly? Ideally for road, CX and mtb's.

I've always used my arm and hand measurements, basically winged it, until it felt right. Recently, I had an, unrelated, back problem and I'm feeling it when I'm on my bike, so I thought I'd go with science and see what happens. I doubt my bikes are more than a few mm's/degrees out, but it all adds up. Plus, I'm getting old.🤪

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I’ve only ever used two rules. Frame size, road 1 inch crotch clearance over crossbar, mtb 2~3 inches clearance over crossbar… but most bikes have sloping top tubes or high front ends with lots of suspension travel these which makes it hard to use that rule.
Saddle height, place heel on pedal at the bottom of the stroke, leg should be comfortably straight. N.b. Continue to pedal with ball of foot over the pedal axle though. 😃
Upper body, I just went with whatever was comfortable. The reach is largely decided by frame size, so I do minor tweaks with stem reach/height.
For small/minor/precise tweaks I never really worried about that.
For YouTube, probably GMBN (Global Mountain Bike Network), for road GCN (Global Cycle Network). 🙂

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,487 ·
I'm using body measurements at the moment, armpit on saddle, finger on bb, etc, but am after trying something different, as I'm struggling with lower back pain. I'll have a look at those sites. Thanks 👍
I have found that lower back pain is when I have the saddle too high and the tops of my thighs hurt when it's too low,
I thought it was sit on the saddle, leg straight down with heel on the pedal (with the pedal down).
All that crotch height above the crossbar stuff strikes me as nonsense. There are far too many variables involved.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
All that crotch height above the crossbar stuff strikes me as nonsense. There are far too many variables involved.
In the olden times of flat top tubes it was so that you didn’t crack ya knackers if you hopped off the saddle. Also the old saying of ‘ride and decide’ was the most important. :)

On a similar theme, I fitted a retro N.O.S. Tioga T-Bone stem yesterday for more comfort. Bit higher and a touch more reach. I think the bike originally came with a Matrix stem which was probably a copy of the T-Bone. Had some modern thing on there the last few years with various spacers which was a bit pony.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Recently, I've sold two bikes, the BSA shopper up there ^^^^ and my O/H's Raleigh Caprice.

Also, I picked up a singlespeed Norco, with disc brakes, just to see if there's any difference in stopping power. There is! I like them. I've given it some hammer for the last month, it's simplicity is refreshing 🙂

Finally, I've been messaging about a bike and a possible swap with one of my Kona Koa's. Tonight, I picked up my new ride....

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

....an Orange Clockwork 10th Anniversary Edition. I can't wait for a spare couple of hours to give it a spin.

What have you been up to?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I got my carbon forks fitted on my other bike with a new Hope 1 1/8th headset. The front end is insanely light now!!! I had fitted some Rockshox XC28 suspension forks to replace some aging Rockshox Indy SL’s. The XC28’s were heavy at 5lbs, but I couldn’t use them as they were too long travel wise, 100mm versus a retro 63mm. The new carbon rigid forks are circa 500 grams. My god, it takes all the weight out of the bike. Tempted to get a carbon seat post and handlebars now for the lolz.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Not overly, it’s a ‘97 Trek zx 8000. Last of the bonded aluminium frames that they did before switching to welding. Always liked the frame. Bit dated as it had v-brakes, but have retro fitted disks. :)
Fair enough. I have a Kona Koa from the same year, nothing fancy, but it's the keeper bike. I've made a few changes to it, but have kept all the original, to me, parts, so I can put it back to how I bought it. My mate, who had a Kona and I used to hit the trails on them and he's since died. I remember the piss-taking.😁

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Fair enough. I have a Kona Koa from the same year, nothing fancy, but it's the keeper bike. I've made a few changes to it, but have kept all the original, to me, parts, so I can put it back to how I bought it. My mate, who had a Kona and I used to hit the trails on them and he's since died. I remember the piss-taking.😁
Great to have memories like that. :) May he R.I.P.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Pics of the forks. Gloss carbon underneath, over-sprayed with a translucent matt black into a fade of solid matt black.
I remember looking at those forks a couple of years ago. I have the 3kg cheapy coil spring suspension forks on my bike, and upgrading those would probably be a waste of money, so rigid forks make sense for the type of riding I do. I expect the 2kg weight saving will more than offset having no suspension. I was put off by there being no reviews, other than people saying they wouldn't trust no-name chinese carbon parts, and keyboard experts saying that carbon can just suddenly let go, unlike metal which will start to give before you get killed to death by it.

What do you think of them in the flesh?

4481 - 4500 of 4563 Posts