Volkszone Forum banner
4541 - 4560 of 4587 Posts

· Help! I'm trapped in here
8,438 Posts
plug Anyone who's got short legs and wants an ideal bike to get into riding on, one of my collection is going into the Brads Auction at VW Action on Sunday coming.

It's a Bianchi Sports Hybrid with cable disc brakes, really good as a get you about faster than most things kind of bike, it's a flat bar one rather than dropped bars too, so really great for commuting.

700c wheels, some basic but solid shimano kit on it, and a really decent Charge Bikes saddle.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Dave, while you're on. During your tinkering, have created a dinglespeed?

I'm currently flicking through very cheap bikes for something suitable. Although, my eye keeps being drawn to 90's steel framed steeds, which doesn't half bump up the price.😁

8,438 Posts
You can't leave it at that. Where's the pics?😁
I'll have to ask Paul Utting to take and send some pictures, because I've not got the bike, I left it with him :). It's a bit dusty, it needs air in the tyres, but I'll clean it at the show and pump the tyres up before it goes up :)

Dave, while you're on. During your tinkering, have created a dinglespeed?

I'm currently flicking through very cheap bikes for something suitable. Although, my eye keeps being drawn to 90's steel framed steeds, which doesn't half bump up the price.😁
Never made one mate, yeah 90's steel is getting expensive!

· Registered
2,882 Posts
after being a competitive cyclist about 30 years ago and my father owning a couple of bike shops in the 70's and 80's i have decided to try and get back into it!
to say i am old school in this is an understatement
I have just bought a 90's bike which is modern to me 😁 Arthur Caygill alloy frame with Campag groupset etc it was very cheap i think but it has got me looking at all bikes now
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
after being a competitive cyclist about 30 years ago and my father owning a couple of bike shops in the 70's and 80's i have decided to try and get back into it!
to say i am old school in this is an understatement
I have just bought a 90's bike which is modern to me 😁 Arthur Caygill alloy frame with Campag groupset etc it was very cheap i think but it has got me looking at all bikes now View attachment 301660
😎

90's is modern to me too.😁

Just a thought. There's a fair few bike builders in Yorkshire. Says the man with an Orange and an On One sitting in the garage. Oh, and a Wilson frame.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Memo to self:

Even if you're only having a local bike ride, take a spare tube and pump, Getting three miles home with a puncture is a right ballache.

.....and another thing. The sleek lines on a slim, steel frame look lovely on a flowing section of singletrack. They're heavy as [email protected]#k and dig in like a knife in cheese when you're shouldering them home.

Apart from that it was a pleasant ride

· Registered
2,882 Posts
I am actually more of a 80's guy for bikes but couldn't find anything in my S/A size or my tight pockets i use to race on MKM and Woodrup frames from Harrogate and Leeds and used tubs so tyre changes were easy i have a spare tube just no pump yet "any recommendations"
I also used to ride track proper 400m ones not these small 250 ones that they race on now lol :)😁

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Your tight pockets might baulk, but this is a cracking pump, that attaches to your bike and is good enough to use at home.

I use a Joe Blow track pump (couldn't tell which model) at home and any old thing when out.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on going tubeless?

I know there's benefits, weight, lower pressure, but as someone who doesn't compete or throw themselves down fifty miles of black runs on a weekly basis, is it worth it?

I've no real leaning either way. If I got a bike set up tubeless, I'd run it and keep as such, but have no desire to change my fleet over.

Thoughts?

· Registered
8,996 Posts

I know there's benefits, weight, lower pressure, but as someone who doesn't compete or throw themselves down fifty miles of black runs on a weekly basis, is it worth it?

I've no real leaning either way. If I got a bike set up tubeless, I'd run it and keep as such, but have no desire to change my fleet over.

Thoughts?
It seems to me, that as long as it works, then all is great, but if it doesn't, for whatever reason, then its almost total failure. A clubmate had a failure recently, and when he eventually tried to put a spare tub in, he was covered in sealant and in a right mess and it still hadn't seated properly.
Much of my riding is relatively long distance so Id rather take a tube or two, and have the option to beg, borrow or buy another as required.

8,438 Posts

Thoughts?
I carry a spare tube, because seating can be a pain at the roadside, but I'd not go back. I've only had to change to a tube once on a ride.

4541 - 4560 of 4587 Posts