Volkszone Forum banner
4561 - 4580 of 4587 Posts

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
A couple of us did the Lancashire Three Towers trail on Wednesday. As a run/walk it's about 50-55k. On bikes large sections of it are impassable, due to lack of use and overgrown foliage. After the last tower, we were pushed for time and used large tarmac sections. Overall we clocked 70k and over 1500m of elevation.

I'd chosen a mtb, my mate a cx. I don't think there was a right bike for it, but at the end, I felt like I'd gone on the wrong bike. I was in bits. Also, my bottom bracket started to go and the last 15k was accompanied by the crunching of doom. Bike is currently in bits, sat in the garage, awaiting a new one. The chainset has polished up nice though. 👍

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
The bottom bracket is an unusual (old) size and the LBS couldn't help. Or more precise, didn't have one in stock. He was dead helpful and let me take what he had home tobtry.

On mine, the length of the spindle sticking out of the bb is 5mm shorter on the drive side, so a standard bb puts my chainset too wide and I'm getting massive chain rub, especially at the extremities. I'm going to have to take Sweeney-like measurements and scour the internet. On the plus side, I found a fiver on the way home from the LBS.🙂

· Registered
181 Posts
The bottom bracket is an unusual (old) size and the LBS couldn't help. Or more precise, didn't have one in stock. He was dead helpful and let me take what he had home tobtry.

On mine, the length of the spindle sticking out of the bb is 5mm shorter on the drive side, so a standard bb puts my chainset too wide and I'm getting massive chain rub, especially at the extremities. I'm going to have to take Sweeney-like measurements and scour the internet. On the plus side, I found a fiver on the way home from the LBS.🙂
What's the length of the spindle? can you not adjust the cups of the bracket so you get the offset?

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
The spindles were the same lengths. It was similar to a door lock barrel, say 30mm and 45mm, but I needed 35mm and 40mm. Plus I would've needed the drive side closer in and the collar on the bb stopped that.

I found one that was almost identical, in Halfords of all places, and it works a treat. The offset was slightly different, but in my favour. No idea how long it'll last, but it's running really smooth.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Update time.

Ive been getting out 2-3 times a week, mostly on trails, with a few night rides thrown in, nothing more than 40k. I even picked up a Boson bike light from the Alpkit shop to help light the way. Should been £40, reduced to £15, got for £10 as part of a bundle.👍

I've slightly reduced the fleet. I sold my 2002 Kona Jake the Snake and swapped my 2012 Kona Jake for an On One Pompino singlespeed.

The fleet currently stands at:

Kona Koa mtb - Going nowhere. I even managed to pick up a set of original Kona Project 2 forks. Going rigid baby!😎

Orange Clockwork 10th Anniversary mtb - Cleaned, polished and awaiting a new home.

On One Dirty Disco CX - Not being used as much as it should, but it's now my only CX bike, so hopefully it'll see the light of day a bit more.

Alf Webb fixie - Awaiting new home. Really hoping to off-load the frame and forks, and keep the parts for something else, spares.

On One Pompino singlespeed - New edition and getting plenty of use. Singlespeeds are so simple. Light, easy to clean, easy to maintain, fun!

A cupboard full of spares, enough to make a Frankenstein bike.

How you doing?

· Registered
8,996 Posts
I’m just transitioning bikes right now. Got caught out a few weeks back - went on a club ride expecting dry roads and got my best bike plastered in mud! After a clean it’s been hung up ready for next summer. I haven’t cracked my winter bike out yet as I’ve got away with my old best bike that I kept. I reckon this weekend will see the winter steed with mudguards out. It’s been so mild till now but I feel real winter is upon us.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Carbon frame and bonding questions.

My carbon framed CX bike has developed an issue. The aluminium seatpost insert started to rotate. I've got it out of the frame. Frame and insert are undamaged, but it looks like it may have happened before and the previous owner has had a go at gluing it in. The adhesive was poorly distributed and probably not suitable for the job. I'm going to have a go at it myself.

Getting the insert clean shouldn't be a problem. Do I need to coat the surface to prevent galvanic corrosion (?) or will the adhesive suffice?

Cleaning inside the carbon seatpost. I'm thinking of taping a bit of scotch pad to a drill bit and giving it a whizz. Any better ideas?

Wiping down, was going to use acetone. Any issues using it on carbon?

Going to use this stuff.

Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions on wiping away the excess that's likely to gather in the insert and seatpost, as I push it in? I'm thinking mainly about the possibility of a big lip appearing at the bottom of the insert. Small traces can probably be removed with the drill/scotch pad combo when fully set.

Any other advice?

· Registered
8,996 Posts
Carbon frame and bonding questions.

My carbon framed CX bike has developed an issue. The aluminium seatpost insert started to rotate. I've got it out of the frame. Frame and insert are undamaged, but it looks like it may have happened before and the previous owner has had a go at gluing it in. The adhesive was poorly distributed and probably not suitable for the job. I'm going to have a go at it myself.

Getting the insert clean shouldn't be a problem. Do I need to coat the surface to prevent galvanic corrosion (?) or will the adhesive suffice?

Cleaning inside the carbon seatpost. I'm thinking of taping a bit of scotch pad to a drill bit and giving it a whizz. Any better ideas?

Wiping down, was going to use acetone. Any issues using it on carbon?

Going to use this stuff.

Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions on wiping away the excess that's likely to gather in the insert and seatpost, as I push it in? I'm thinking mainly about the possibility of a big lip appearing at the bottom of the insert. Small traces can probably be removed with the drill/scotch pad combo when fully set.

Any other advice?

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
It's not the seatpost slipping in the seat tube.

The seat tube has an aluminium insert bonded in it, this has come away. The seatpost sits inside the insert.

Photo of insert and seat tube:

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

The black bit, on the right, sits above the seat tube and the seatpost clamp goes around it.

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
It definitely glues in.

There's a lip on the insert, just below the gold/bronze band. It is wider than the rest of the insert and sits proud of the seat tube. The seatpost clamp attaches to the black bit.

· Registered
8,996 Posts
It definitely glues in.

There's a lip on the insert, just below the gold/bronze band. It is wider than the rest of the insert and sits proud of the seat tube. The seatpost clamp attaches to the black bit.
Again, I now understand. Could you fit a second seat post clamp, double clamping each piece with a slot in to secure it. Its a bit of a fudge but would sort it for the sake of a couple of quid and a few ounces?

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
I like that idea.👍

I'm still going to bond the insert, that's how it came out of the factory. A second clamp is definitely a 'belt and braces' option.

Right, I'm just after thoughts/suggestions for removing excess glue before it sets. I've no idea of the working time, but ten minutes seems to be when it's set.

· Registered
181 Posts
this also gives me the opportunity to mention my favourite adhesive joke... Care of the glueman at Aerospace (yes there was an actual person whose sole job was to mix all the adhesives)
'Araldite, the Greek god of adhesion?' (you've got to pronounce Araldite as 'Ar al die tee' for full effect)

4561 - 4580 of 4587 Posts