Volkszone Forum banner

Cycling Thread

Tags
cycling
478K views 5K replies 241 participants last post by  Clem 
#1 ·
There seem to be a few threads around, but I thought I´d add a more general one, just for everyone to brag about how far they´ve ridden or ask questions or whatever.

I´m pretty pleased with myself after doing a long (for me) run out to a reservoir and back through the forest, on a lot of dirt tracks. It was about 43 miles in all and it took me a lot longer getting back than it did going out, on the nice smooth cycle path. Still very slow average speed, but since I ended up pushing it up some of the very steep stoney forest tracks, I wasn´t surprised. I keep telling myself it´s not a race anyway!

#4 ·
Seeing as you've started, it'd be rude not to use it.:)

I've got a fixie, track/road bike. The gap between the top of the front forks and the rim of the wheel is very small, so when I adjust the brake blocks only half of them sits on the rim. I could file out the brake caliper so the blocks sit on the rim, but it's a nice bike and I'd rather not have a diy job on it.

Can you buy shortened brakes for such a problem?

Thanks.

#18 ·
I've just come back now from a quick ride, first chance I've had since Friday - we've had rain continuously since about half way through my ride that morning...

I've done my usual 14 mile route, in just over an hour... Apparently burning 818 calories :)

On Friday I did 32 miles, 1750 calories :)

I'm now juuuuust over 100 miles off my 500 mile target before I leave for Wörthersee on the 26th. If the weather stays dry I can do it... If it doesn't then I may struggle a bit!

Pic from a few weeks ago:

1980 Raleigh Esquire by retromotoring, on Flickr

:)

#22 ·
I ride to work everyday and feel loads better for it. Means I can tuck into pie & pints at the weekend :)

Currently got a four mile trip in through a park which is lovely in the summer.

Often take the long way home, especially now as I've got a 60 mile ride of the 12 June http://www.c-o-t.org.uk/hlp-kentbikeride.htm

My brother and I did 30 miles the other week without too much grief so, not worried.

I've got a mountain bike on road tyres that does me, but if I ever had spare cash there's a lot of bikes I'd like to have.

#25 ·
Well, i've done two Euro cycle tours, both around 1000miles in a month. The most we did in one day was 90 miles, fully loaded with camping gear and stuff on mountain bikes. It was a few years ago now, me and my mate have the urge to do it again, can't do a month though, girlfriend won't be pleased!:( So today ive been looking at routes to do in an 8 day tour.... might sneak afew more days onto it!:D need to get the B.O.B Yak repimped too, am thinking a nice orange paint job instead of the blue i sprayed it a few years back.:D

#29 ·
I just did 165 miles over two days.

Thats Barrow-in-Furness to edingburgh, with all camping gear.

Went over kirkstone pass on day one as well.

Very pleased. :)
Very nice - I like cycling in the Lakes. I once rode from Barrow around Windermere to Coniston and then (stupidly) decided to give Hardknott and Wrynose Passes a go....

The most I've cycled in a day is 220 miles (300 in a full twenty four ours, I suppose) and I've managed London to Edinburgh and back to London again in 96 hours.

I try and do two fifty mike rides per week and one of between eighty and a hundred. (Along with other shorter rides.)

I like cycling.

#33 ·
108 miles in a day back when I was doing sports cat mountainbike racing. Not long after I came to the conclusion that road miles are very boring and not that good for upper body strength, so I switched to shorter offroad runs

#38 ·
I used to cycle 6 miles each way to work and back when I was working.

At the moment I'm at home with the children so I haven't really done much for the last year.

However, No1 Son has pretty much mastered riding a bike. We've been cycling to the local park and cycling round it. It's probably only a couple of miles but he's enjoying it.

Hopefully I can start doing a bit of riding again soon...

I've got him a 1970s Raleigh Pacer that he should be able to ride next year (when his legs are a bit longer).

#39 ·
I wish I had a bike :(

My friend Martyn and his wife are doing a ride from the east coast of England back to Aberystywth on the west coast of Wales to raise money for charity. More infos here and here
It looks like a pretty epic undertaking to me.

I'm scared of hills, partly becuase when I was little I had a nasty accident riding a bike down a hill, left me with a load of scars on my face, elbows, and knees. but round these parts we are untroubled by inclines, so I hope to get a bike soon and get out and explore :D

#50 ·
Checking in.

Did a lot of bmx when younger, looking to get a more sensible bike together now. I got some skinny road tyres for my mtb last year and the speed difference is impressive, but the front suspension feels more like a hinderance now (wish it could lock out), and despite it's suspension floppiness the bike feels way too rigid and vibration prone with the tyres pumped right up like I like 'em. Lots of unnecessary complicated bits and needless weight on the thing, I'd like to keep it for off road stuff, but I hanker for lightweight speed.

Lacking spare cash though and I can't see myself being able to afford anything in a while, so I'm just keeping an eye open for a cheap/free fixer upper.

The rigidity of my MTB on hard street tyres is something I really want to avoid, am I right in thinking steel frames are a little less stiff than aluminum ones? Anything else to take into account?

Liking the idea of a flip/flop hub for single/fixed stuff. Though my ideal bike would have 3 speeds with a flip flop for fixed fun. Haven't even considered wether that would even be possible.

#52 ·
Liking the idea of a flip/flop hub for single/fixed stuff. Though my ideal bike would have 3 speeds with a flip flop for fixed fun. Haven't even considered wether that would even be possible.
Sturmey Archer now make a three speed fixed gear hub - I can't see it being cheap though!

As for a flip/flop to fixed/free hub, you would probably find that once you started riding fixed, you wouldn't want to change back.

eBay is still pretty good for bargain bikes - search for anything made with Reynolds 531 steel and you should find something decent.

Steel is a noticeably less harsh ride than aluminium but over time it does lose its springiness and will become deader and less lively.

#51 ·
RE: milage, hardly rode at all this year - new job that gets me more than enough exercise every day. Last year I was doing short timed sprints of unknown milage (managed to get the time down from 20 min to 12 min IIRC) and occasion longer rides. Longest I've rode in the last few years is about 40 miles.

#62 ·
Bikes are ace... they come hand on hand with pain .getting tempted to move over to the dark side as well due to the cheap offering on ebay for road bikes. I just don't have the mentality for roads. Mud and good front fork. Some good miles being done by folk keep it up

#67 ·
And you will never make a mountain bike into a road bike it just never works add up the cost of the bits and compare it to the cheap older road bikes are fine to use even if they are slightly out of fashion.