• I ride 5 -10 Miles each day

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I ride 10 -20 Miles each day

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I ride 20 -30 Miles each day

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I ride over 30 Miles each day

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Sod the environment I'd drive to the shops if they were 100m away!

Votes: 2 11.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a round trip of 35 miles each day to and from work... Just out of interest I was wondering if anyone else rides to work and if so how far?

I get cut up and nearly run down every morning by people who see a bike in front of them and cant stand it.

Its fun abusing the cars when they cut you up though. You pull up beside the at the next roundabout give a good rant bout getting F*cking closer next time and they dont know where to look. Anywhere but at the crazed sweaty cyclist bellowing at thier closed fastly closing passenger window!! :mad: :crazy: :D

Since riding it has made me a far more considerate motorist.

Whats your views?...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yep, in and around oxford, so loads of other cyclists which is cool. Drivers not too bad, but still get a few knobs. The other day a lady nearly pulled across me; I managed to lock the rear brake with my left hand and flick the v with other. I was quite chuffed with that.

It does make you more aware as a driver I think.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I used to cycle to uni every day in Guildford and never had any problem with motorists.

I cycled to work for 3 days in Preston, found it too hard it was a bit too far, and was actually quite scared because a lot of motorists seems not to see me!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ozy said:
Yep, in and around oxford, so loads of other cyclists which is cool. .
I pass one cyclist going in the opposite direction to me each morning and thats it! He's a miserable fucker as well and never says hello... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
used to ride to work last summer. was about 22 miles round trip but was amazing, all along proper country roads. can't really remember having to deal with wollys in their cars though. Probably cause it was all quite roads.

Been meaning to start cycling to my new job, not as far but a hell of alot more dangerous i reckon. :) should be a laugh. :hangloose

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
I cycle to work, not sure how far...I am guessing maybe 3 miles, but it's probably less! :lol: I am also really lucky in that it is nearly all cycle track!

I loce cycling to work, except when it's raining, or I fall off! Cam e a cropper on Tuesday going through a saturated underpass at speed before a left hand turn... :eek:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Im just about to start cycling again after about 12 years out of the saddle! gonna cycle to various places for work in and around London.

Do you all wear helmets?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I haven't got a car because of my bikes, i ride 8ish miles each way to work, (early shift 6-2) and now the light is better i can enjoy it more as getting run over is never good. It dose not matter about the weather or time of year, i can truly say it keeps me fit and saving lots of money on petrol, insurance, tax the list continues.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
I haven't had much work on lately, but when I do I try and ride in. About 10 miles each way, and the usual arguments with motorists, bus drivers and the blatantly stupid.
I still get a buzz riding down Rotten Row in the morning :) .

·
Punk, I was born ready
1,501 Posts
I love cycling to work, gets me ready to go for the day!
I will admit i've almost been killed several times by stupid drivers, but i read in the times the other day that cyclists that break the law, i.e. run lights, ride on pavement etc are actually safer than those who stick to the rules of the road (which are mainly designed for drivers). :D

Benny, :hangloose

p.s. unfortunately i'm having to sell my beautiful bike (shameless plug here but its for sale in the classifieds here) because my beetle is a f**king money pit!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BennyCattrall said:
I love cycling to work, gets me ready to go for the day!
I will admit i've almost been killed several times by stupid drivers, but i read in the times the other day that cyclists that break the law, i.e. run lights, ride on pavement etc are actually safer than those who stick to the rules of the road (which are mainly designed for drivers). :D

Benny, :hangloose

p.s. unfortunately i'm having to sell my beautiful bike (shameless plug here but its for sale in the classifieds here) because my beetle is a f**king money pit!
Hi Benny, I was supposed to be sending you some pictures of my downhill rig that I have for sale but forgot to send them... Sorry :eek:

Looks like it might be a no go seems your wagon is soaking up your cash though!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SHINE129 said:
Do you all wear helmets?
Wouldnt go out on the road without one. Its not a fashion statement its a matter of life or death if you get hit not wearing one.
I reach speeds of over 40mph on some of the downhill sections of my ride. Thats faster than a moped. You wouldnt get on one of those without a helmet...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
cycle about 9 mile/day. Do the odd 25 mile ride when bored. Love cycling, keeps me fit "ish". Never had many issues with other road users and wear a helmet in the winter as I have lights in the back of it.
More should cycle, don't know what there missing out on :) Just done the W2W, 153 mile in 3 days. It was brilliant.
I work downstairs from a guy who drives 3 mile to work, then calls into the Gym to us the static cycle on the way home twice a week :crazy: figure that one out???
Jas

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I work from home, so not much need to cycle to work! However, I do tend to go for a ride about 3 days out of 5, at lunchtime, to get some fresh air / out of the house.

After a few weeks, I felt so much healthier! Now doing about 10 miles a day, when I go out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
KenDoddsDadsDog said:
Wouldnt go out on the road without one. Its not a fashion statement its a matter of life or death if you get hit not wearing one.
I reach speeds of over 40mph on some of the downhill sections of my ride. Thats faster than a moped. You wouldnt get on one of those without a helmet...
Spot on! I've had a helmet destroyed, with my head in it -ended up sat at the side of the road thinking what state my head would have been in without it...

And wrt the speed, I managed to set a speedycam off once, in my youth... Never got a letter tho :lol:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't cycle to work every day but when I do it's about 18 miles each way. Most of the route is through the New Forest from Ringwood to Totton so very nice early in the morning when the sun's coming up. I wish I'd cycled this morning now but the van was due for it's mot this afternoon which it just passed :D When I do ride I ride this a 1960's Viking:

or this:

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I'd LOVE to cycle to work - it'd keep me fit and would be cheaper too. And probably faster, to be honest. However, we've got no showers or anything and I'm customer facing too.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
KenDoddsDadsDog said:
I ride a round trip of 35 miles each day to and from work... Just out of interest I was wondering if anyone else rides to work and if so how far?

I get cut up and nearly run down every morning by people who see a bike in front of them and cant stand it.

Its fun abusing the cars when they cut you up though. You pull up beside the at the next roundabout give a good rant bout getting F*cking closer next time and they dont know where to look. Anywhere but at the crazed sweaty cyclist bellowing at thier closed fastly closing passenger window!! :mad: :crazy: :D

Since riding it has made me a far more considerate motorist.

Whats your views?...
I used to ride about 35 miles a day to work unfortunately I now live double the distance away. A bit far to cycle but I do drop the bike in the car and cycle home sometimes.

About to go out for a blast now!

As for drivers cutting me up. It happens, I usually tolorate it or ride a good distance from the kerb so I don't get pushed into it and drivers have to properly overtake me. Ive had one or two wing mirror punching incidents in the past when I used to have to ride through birmingham and nottingham rush hour traffic !

I had an incident where I was riding past stationary traffic and someone threw a cigarette butt out just as I was riding past (my pet hate!) so I stopped, picked it up and threw it back in the window of the car. Boy did I have to cycle fast to get away from that driver.

A bunch of lads in a metro hurled a load of abuse at me once in birmingham for no reason as they drove past. So when I got the island and queue of traffic I gave them the bird just as I got onto the island. I heard a lot of engine revving and shouting so rode off pretty quick. they chased me up the road and although I was going some on my road bike I couldn't really jump it up the kerb or escape them. The idiots decided to spit all over me as they drove past. Nice :rolleyes:

Adrian

Adrian

·
Registered
907 Posts
I used to cycle a 10mile round trip to uni & back.....also shops/pub etc.
all on my BMX!

When not commuting, id throw myself off ramps and stairs.

I had to ride through Manchester alot, including the rushhome 'curry mile' where normal road rules dont apply! I lost count the number of times people opened doors on me.

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
I used to cycle to work everyday when I lived in London.

I was also a courier for a bit.

Had a fair few run ins with drivers. Thing is in London they think they can have a go at you... but what they don't realise is wether it be two minutes or ten minutes you will catch up with them. I had some pretty full on confrontations. I gave up cycling in town after I got hit (and came off 100% fine) by a Range Rover.

A mate of mine did the ultimate... he got into a row with a cabbie and reached in and got his ignition keys and rode off with them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts