Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how wide a canal lock is

talking to my folks into buying a canal barge to live on, there narrow boats and wide beam boats, but no good if a wide beam barge won't fit in a lock :rolleyes:

anyone

·
Registered
236 Posts
Size is important isn't it. :D

If they are going to be cruising round on it length may be another consideration. Apparantly is certain areas locks get shorter so the longer barges can't get through. I believe parts of the North West system might have shorter locks.

A friend lives on a barge and got round this problem by having two shorter boats (1 to live in and 1 to tug behind to store things in)

Not sure on actual length figures though.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Right.

A Narrow boat has a beam (width) of 6'10", as Nige has already said.

The Narrowest locks that you will find are 7' wide.

Some canals like the Grand Union Canal (London to Birmingham) have 14' wide locks as they were designed so boats could travel 2 abreast (thus doubling the cargo capacity).

Some canals are different (Manchester Ship for example), but the main canal system conforms to these dimensions:

Lock Length: 72'
Lock width: 14' widebeam, 7' narrowbeam

The maximim length of a narrow boat is 70' (to allow for space in the lock).

Some Canals have shorter locks, but the large proportion are as above. Some canals also have turing areas that are not suited to longer boats, but again, most are.

A Narrow boat is the best way forward IMHO, as it means that you can go most anywhere, including the sea (if you are mad :D )

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
vr666m said:
Right.

A Narrow boat has a beam (width) of 6'10", as Nige has already said.

The Narrowest locks that you will find are 7' wide.

Some canals like the Grand Union Canal (London to Birmingham) have 14' wide locks as they were designed so boats could travel 2 abreast (thus doubling the cargo capacity).

Some canals are different (Manchester Ship for example), but the main canal system conforms to these dimensions:

Lock Length: 72'
Lock width: 14' widebeam, 7' narrowbeam

The maximim length of a narrow boat is 70' (to allow for space in the lock).

Some Canals have shorter locks, but the large proportion are as above. Some canals also have turing areas that are not suited to longer boats, but again, most are.

A Narrow boat is the best way forward IMHO, as it means that you can go most anywhere, including the sea (if you are mad :D )
oh yes indeedy, heres mine, been living on it for 5 years now

heres our current nieghbours

my cat relaxing on the back deck cover

and the few from the back deck last week

currently on the grand union south near hemel hempstead, another thing with widebeams is you may have a few problems getting into some of the marinas but you can get wides in all sizes 8', 10' and some 12'. they do mean more work at locks as you will have to open all the gares whereas with a narrow you only have to open 1 side on the way in and out

im thinking about getting a dutch in a couple of years :D

if your going to be living aboard you really want to get one with a big water tank or your filling up every 2 weeks like we do

marina living is easier than continous crusing imho but no where near as nice

if you want any advise/hints feel free to pm/email me or post here but i only have access at work when the boss aint looking

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts