Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Updated 04-08-2008*** - MOT test today! And the result is.... ...You'll just have to read the last post. :)

I've got to be mad. I've got to be insane. I've got to be crazy! Crazy for Daisy! Daisy the Beetle!

Took a 600 mile round trip on Saturday (26/08/06) to Brighton to pick her up. A little yellow 1300 model with some cal look style customisation. She has some flaws, and needs some work, but on the whole she seems to be a sound little car - having had the floorpans, heater channels, etc all done in the past - meaning there's only a little mechanical work, and some tidying up to do to make a great little daily driver for the next couple of years while I crack on with my main project, and our shared project - Bertie Beetle.
Not only do Have two other cars that need working on in the future, but I'm sorting out a blown head gasket on a Jetta I bought less than a month ago (and will be up for sale in the next two or three weeks), and have my old Jetta still kicking about (which has to go to the scrappy early next week unless someone wants an 1988/89 1800cc Jetta with no tax & test and can take it away this weekend) - which I'm using for spares for the new Jetta.

So, what does this new little beastie (Daisy) look like? Well, so far I've only got one half decent pic of her taken when we stopped for a break on the way home, but I'll be out there over the next few days to have a good crawl around her, assess all the work that needs doing, prioritize the work, and take plenty of pics of all the good, the bad, and the ugly points of her.

Daisy.....

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there's something not quite right with the fit of the bonnet. the driver's side edge is a bit high, so that air rushes underneath - and in fact you can see daylight through it. Not only that, but the bonnet actually shakes from side to side as you drive along! So it needs some adjustment as it can't be sitting down properly at the back edge (by the windscreen). I'll probably fit a Mexican bonnet seal too (Clips to the edge of the bonnet - as it's fatter and will give a better chance of sealing. We fitted one to Bertie and noticed an instant reduction in the amount of air getting in. Also does away with the gripping strip for the bonnet seal on the quarter panels, thus eliminating a rust trap. Another thing I want to do to the bonnet is refit the bonnet handle, as it's easier to get the bonnet opened and closed with it.

Oh, and I've got a thing for yellow Beetles too. Second bright yellow one I've had. :)

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Cool, another wobble-project....

Looking forward to more pics etc:hangloose

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Pics.

Jon, you don't have to wait long, coz here are some more pics.

We'll kick off with a couple of pics that make her look nice...

OK, time to cut the arty-farty crap, and show some of the scabby bits. Well, after one more quick pic taken this afternoon when we took both Daisy and Bertie (that's him, the little green Bug in front) out for a run this afternoon...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the pictures I saw of her, it looked like she had regular black/white number plates - the back being a regular plate, and the front being a stick on version.

It was only when seeing the car that I realised the truth. The bloke had made his own from black and white vinyl! The size and font seem close enough to DVLA spec, and look like the real deal from a distance, but up close they look a bit.... "Blue Peter" (who said sticky back plastic was going out of style?). :D
These will have be replaced with proper plates at some time, especially the rear. The front I'll live with for now, until I decide if I'm going to put bumpers back on her, and what sort of style (though I will have a pair of plates made up this week - or at VW Action, if the trader is there).

Now for some bad bits. The ends of the gutters have seen better days, and are rotting out. These will have to be dug out, rust removed, and temporarily patched over for now, until I have the time to do them properly.

The gutters by the top of the 'B' pillar/roof are bubbling away nicely too. Again, for now the rust will be buzzed off, and quick patches made to stop it spreading, and will be returned to at a future date.

The front scuttle area in front of the windscreen will need some tidying up before the rot gets a proper grip. No doubt I'll discover a bit of filler there too. I'll put money on it that whoever first built the car didn't do a perfect job of chasing the rust out.

And this area just in front of the driver.

The doors aren't the best. There are a couple of small dings in them (looks like they happened long after she was redone in her current guise), the hinge pins really need replacing, and there's rust in the bottom of both doors. Though the driver's side isn't too bad at the moment, the passenger's side will need some attention before long.

·
Registered
582 Posts
what kind of price would you need to pat for a Beetle like this one?

Looking foward to watching the thread grow. Bertie thread now is kept in my bookmarks.

Good look with it and i hope you dont find as much rot as you did on Bertie

Well done for saving another Beetle for a messy end

Graham

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Graham. We will finish that Bertie thread off one day - as there are still all the final pics of the paint, wing, door, etc going on.

I hope there's not as much rot either! It's had the bottom six inches done in the past though - heater channels etc.
One thing worrying me today is that I went out to the car this afternoon, only to find the driver's side rear footwell swimming in water! :( A little water in the front footwell, and a little water in the front passenger side footwell too. If that's been happening for some time, then there's a chance that the rot has already begun to creep into otherwise solid looking panels (ie the heater channels). I hope not! I pray not! I didn't buy this car to faff about with things like that. :( Looks like I'm going to have to though. My solution to help it today was to drill a 5mm hole in the rear driver's side footwell, just infront of the kickboard under the rear seat, to let the water out (and any future leaks). Once I've solved the problem, then the hole can be welded back up.

I paid £1500 for it. And after driving it 300 miles, and starting to have a look around it, think it was a couple of hundred too much - considering I know (been pricing it all up today) that the brakes, oil seals, and wheel bearings (may as well do them while everything's apart) will cost about £170 ish.

Been stuck helping a neighbour out with his trike today, so haven't got any more little jobs done on it, and about to go out there now to do a couple of quickies before the light fails tonight. :hangloose

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Nice pics, and some not so nice pics too... It's amasing how good you can make a car look when you take a few steps back and shoot from down low:D

I'm looking forward to the big finale of the bertie thread too, I've been waiting for that for a couple months now!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to go out and do a few quick jobs on her today, and got accosted by the neighbour with a trike. Still got running problems, that have just got worse. The thing idles for a while, then just conks out. There's something just not right with cylinders 1 & 2. So this evening he started taking the head off, as we'd found a bit of what looks like valve seal in the rocker cover while adjusting the valves...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jon,
Yep, it's easy to make a car look good in pics. People fret too much when their car goes for a photoshoot, thinking every tiny blemish will show. It won't - except in close up ...and then there's always Photoshop. :D

Right, continuing on from before, with her sad scabby bits.

The rear lights are ok, though one of the housings is going a bit. Won't be able to assess it until I remove it one day.

The rear driver's side wing was probably replaced at sometime after she was put together, as it's a slightly different shade of yellow, and has crazing all over it (paint reaction of some sort I'd guess).
Also, the bumper hanger hole hasn't been done as well as the other wings.

One of the front wings is suffering a bit by the front indicator (an oval side repeater from a Ford). Hopefully it just needs a clean up and rust treating.

She's obviously been around the block a bit, and travelled a bit.

The rear "badge" looked alright from a distance in the pics, but turns out to be no more than vinyl lettering. I've got several options here.
1) Leave it as is
2) Remove it and don't have a badge
3) Replace it with a proper badge (ie a "VW 1300" badge)
4) Get an aftermarket badge saying "Volkswagen"

Now, this next bit is embarassing. It's hideous really. A total bodge - yet it works after a fashion.
As the dashboard has been smoothed over, the airbox and controls were removed - otherwise the spindles would poke through the dash. Did they put any pipe work under the dash to vent to the screen. Nope. And how did they sort out the problem of water getting through the 1300 bonnet vents??? Could've filled them in, or fitted a 1200 bonnet, or made up some neat and nifty way of collecting and funnelling the water away and through the hole by the bulkhead, like the factory did with the original airbox. Nope, they bodge in a tupperware tray, held in with wire, and a piece of pipe that takes the water away to the bottom of the spare wheel well! Which is probably why it's one of the few areas of the lower body to show any signs of rust. I can hear you all laugh now...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It rained today. It rained hard today. I got wet. The car got wet. ...The car got wet inside too. :(

When looking around the car, there wasn't any sign of leaks, despite the downpours of rain we had in the week before I saw Daisy.
Today, however, there were signs. Big signs, in a big way. Big "flooded in almost an inch of water in the driver's side rear footwell and other miscellaneous leaks" way.

Crap! This is something I just didn't want to have to deal with. Not as she needs to be my daily driver. I didn't expect to have to deal with this crap, and spend time on problems like this.

Water also seeping into the driver's side front footwell too.

And into the passenger side front footwell.

These have to be stopped. And soon. If they continue, then she'll rot out in no time. My main worry is that (if all the info I've been give is right) she's been kept in a garage most of the time up until earlier this year, which means she's most likely been outside since then, and if this has been happening, then the rot may have well started creeping in her heater channels. Not good news. I think I'll have to invest in some POR metal ready and POR15, and get it injected down her heater channels to help, followed by Waxoyl. Though I have to fix those leaks first.

As a quick fix (ie desperate bodge), rather than constantly bail her out every time it rains, I driled a 5 mm hole in the floorpan, about in inch in front of the underseat kickboard. I can then weld it up when I've fixed the leak...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the neighbour's trike, the rain, and panicing over the leaks, I didn't get the small jobs I wanted to do done on her today. But did a few quick bits.

The tax disc had been taped in with a ton of masking tape. God knows why. An ordinary tax disc holder is less than a quid, and a fancy magnetic one only 2-3 quid.

So I fitted a plain magnetic one. Much neater. Was tempted to put it up out of the way at the top of the screen, behind the rear view mirror - so that it wouldn't get knocked off easily when wiping the window, and would allow the far corner vent to work a little better (better airflow over the screen). But the DVLA site does clearly state the disc has to be on the nearside of the windscreen, and as I drive home late at night, and occasionally pulled over by the Police (just doing checks), I didn't want to give them any reasons to be picky about the car.

The only other things I did to her today was to tighen up the wing mirror, as it was a little loose, and would flap back when going over 50 MPH, and to change the headlight bulb as the low beam wasn't working. Except that the bulb was fine, and it looks like some sort of wiring problem. :( That needs to be fixed asap - tomorrow! So I can use her for going to work tomorrow (work nights, so come home when it's dark).
But at least I found that the nearside headlight is a near new Hella unit, and that the headlamp bowl in the wing is in great shape.

I've got the Jetta to finish this week too. Before the end of the week. Just need the weather to hold off for a couple of days to let me get it done. Then I can get the last bits off the old Jetta, and start to get the new Jetta ready to sell.
Then I might be able to get around to giving Daisy an engine service and tune up as she's doing appaling MPG at the moment. Worked out it's somewhere around the 24 MPG point at the moment, and we know from Bertie that Beetles are much better than that (Bertie can do about 37 MPG on a good day).

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speedydub said:
shame about the leak but looks gud
Absolute bugger about the leak! :( but with a little sorting out she'll be a smart car for a couple of years. Then I can really do something to make her prettier. :)

Speaking of leaks, etc. The neighbour I was helping out today has a huge roll of clear polythene. Just the right thickness and strength to make the waterproof membrane that's supposed to be behind the door panels. :) So I asked if I could have some to make some membranes for our cars. He said of course I could. Excellent! :)

1 - 20 of 350 Posts