Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1972 1300a Beetle
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wondering if some of you Beetle guru's can give an newbie some insight.

I have a 1972 Beetle 1300 engine with the 1200 Shell.

I'm wanting to know what the purpose of the grill's beside the speedo was for originally?

I realise that some people insert aftermarket dials and gauges etc, but what are the covers/mesh combo for?

Also as you can see form the below pictures, once I popped mine off, which were annoyingly stuck in place with some sort of silicone... there are cut-out's.

Are these cut-outs actually shaped fit something in particular or just there for manufacturing purposes?

I am working on making the car look relatively "Stock" so I won't installing boost gauges or anything, but any ideas as to what could be put there as a nice addition would also be welcomed.

Thanks (y)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The round opening was for a speaker and the small square opening would have been for an accessory fuel gauge (the grill was retained in a form from earlier cars with the fuel gauge in that spot as shown below).

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
The square hole was a hang over from 67 and earlier models that had a square, mechanical fuel guage there. Radio speaker on the other side.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
The original grilles had little tabs on the back, which fit through the cut-out slots in the dash panel, the tabs are then bent or twisted to hold the grilles in place, often also sealed with a blob of non-hardening mastic to prevent vibration. Unfortunately, when bending the tabs straight to remove the grille, the tabs usually snap off. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts