Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: Bloody typical!

Just priced Dells Inspiron 6400 notebooks up to show someone the price differences between Ubuntu and Windows Vista (guessing ubuntu is free & Vista loads-a-money!) and guess what...

The Vista based notebook worked out £20 cheaper! I remember back in the summer Dell claiming that Ubuntu wouldn't cost a penny... so slightly confused i guess.

Anyhows, wasnt suggesting she bought either config of that laptop, just wanted to show how much she would be paying for Microsoft OS with a back to back comparison.. back to the drawing board on that one it woud seem :lol:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the prices were without the support package!

the windows notebook had £50 off, but even without that i'm suprised it was only £30 more than the ubuntu

there was no support on either, both were specd the same

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Buy the windows one. Then when it asks you to accept the licence (first time boot), click no, and instead install Ubuntu yourself. You should get some cash back off Dell (£50ish, I think), for not installing MS...

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,403 Posts
I'm guessing there has been development costs for Dell in shipping Ubuntu, whereas Windows had been developed for them. I wouldn't buy an a Machine with Linux preinstalled. I'd rather one with no OS so I could install my own OS free.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing there has been development costs for Dell in shipping Ubuntu, whereas Windows had been developed for them. I wouldn't buy an a Machine with Linux preinstalled. I'd rather one with no OS so I could install my own OS free.
agreed.. i just wanted to show someone the price dfifferences! :lol:

just customised them again and noticed that the ubuntu option wasnt as good a screen as the vista, adding that made the ubuntu £1 more expensive!

changing Vista to Vista Ultimate made the vista optiona a little more, but not by much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts