Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can someone help? I need to know the difference between 041 heads and 043 heads.( ie the construction of, especially if any porting work is to be done) .As I have a new set of Auto Linea 041's that I brought from the States, although they were advertised as 043's, do I need to send them back?
Cheers Paul.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
I have a pair of Mexican 043's - they have stock 1600 valve sizes, long reach spark plugs (thicker head castings) and the intake & exhaust ports don't have the cast valve guide bosses.

Standard 041's have larger inlet valves than stock (usually 39 / 40mm) but stock size exhaust valves. They have a reputation for running hot because the exhaust gasses can't get away as well as they should.

There's also modified 041's that have had larger exhaust valves fitted to overcome this problem.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The Mexicam 043 heads weith the long plugs (W7CC) have 30mm exhaust and 32mm inlet. 9MM exhaust valves and inlet valve stem seals.
Many other 043 heads had the short plug (W8AC) they have 32mm exhaust valves and 35.5 inlets. Many tuning houses use the 043 head as a base for their heads so you'll see a load of posh heads with 043 on them. They even did an 043 with 32mm x 9mm stem exhaust valves.
Fortunately (ish) the 041s came with 38mm inlets and 32mm exhaust with 8mm stems..... Except for the ones that people have put bigger exhaust seats into.
Early 043 heads with the 9mm exhaust valves had cast iron exhaust guides which were buggers to change.
Then there was 040 which had 32x35.5 and originally had better flowed exhaust ports, same as the 311 head fitted to the type 3.
Are you feeling sleepy yet?
Funny thing is that type 3s were less prone to cracking heads than type 1.
Night night!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right! the 041 heads I have have got the following:
40mm inlet valves
35.5mm exhaust valves
8mm valve stems
27mm deep small diameter (than normal) sparkplug holes
and what looks like phosphur bronze valve guides
are these any good for heavy porting work?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I experimented with D shaped ports on stock valve heads and had a 1914cc van with an engine that cost a total of £300 doing 17.8 quarters at Crail, about 8 years ago.

I suggest you fart about with some dead heads first; then , with a combination of tungsten burrs and flap wheels see where it gets you.

Pay special attention to the metal just under the valve spring seats. Too much off there and you get a smokey one!

Take the inlet guides out and replace them with the racing ones that scat and others do with the shoulder.

Farting about with old heads is great fun and can give good results.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
The Mexicam 043 heads weith the long plugs (W7CC) have 30mm exhaust and 32mm inlet. 9MM exhaust valves and inlet valve stem seals.
Many other 043 heads had the short plug (W8AC) they have 32mm exhaust valves and 35.5 inlets. Many tuning houses use the 043 head as a base for their heads so you'll see a load of posh heads with 043 on them. They even did an 043 with 32mm x 9mm stem exhaust valves.
Fortunately (ish) the 041s came with 38mm inlets and 32mm exhaust with 8mm stems..... Except for the ones that people have put bigger exhaust seats into.
Early 043 heads with the 9mm exhaust valves had cast iron exhaust guides which were buggers to change.
Then there was 040 which had 32x35.5 and originally had better flowed exhaust ports, same as the 311 head fitted to the type 3.
Are you feeling sleepy yet?
Funny thing is that type 3s were less prone to cracking heads than type 1.
Night night!
My Mexican 043's have 30mm exhausts, 34mm inlets, 8mm stems, no oil seals and long reach plugs.

My modified 041's (Marked 2BR so I assume they're Brazilian castings) also have long reach plugs, 40mm inlets, 35.5 exhausts with 8mm stems. The ports appear larger than those on the 043 but they do have the "Bump" inside the inlet port to allow for the valve spring seat, and have cast valve guide support bosses whereas the 043's do not.

So it seems there's a lot of variation even between heads of the same casting number.

IMHO the 043's would have better flowing potential as they don't have the inlet port bump to worry about, but you'd need to fit larger valves if you wanted it to flow well, and the cost of having this done in the UK would mean it would be better to buy some new 044's off the shelf than mess about with the 043's.

Ghia thing - your 041's have the right size exhaust valve to match the inlet so I'd go ahead with them. They sound the same as the ones I have except mine still have the larger diameter plug hole.
Just make sure you leave the "Bump" well alone.

Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts