Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of redecorating my bedroom, but want to get rid of the textured wallpaper. So instead of hiring a stripper :)crazy: ) I thought I might give the new polycell stuff a go.... might even give me some practice for smoothing the sides of the van! :lol:

So, has anyone used it? and if so, what did you think? did it do a good job? was it easy to use? etc.

Cheers

:D

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Hey chicken.

I've used it and it was nasty. The intention was to smooth over a textured ceiling. Now I count myself as being pretty handy when it comes to DIY, but I found this stuff was really hard to use, and considering the price was a waste. I struggled with it for hours & ended up putting it on with a roller the next day to disguise the bits I'd tried to 'Smoothover'.

1/10 if you ask me, but there's probably a knack to it that I just haven't mastered.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,538 Posts
Ditto to above.
Tried this stuff on an artexed ceiling and it is crap. The ceiling was still rough and had to spend two days sanding it smooth.
Go the easy option and Buy a wallpaper stripper (only about £40 from argos).

·
Registered
41,019 Posts
I was thinking of using it on my bedroom walls, they're not bad enough to need re-plastering but I hate filling & sanding things down so was going to go for that smoothover option!!

Vyx, just paper over the paper :lol:

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh poo.... the paper's got about 4 layers of paint on it.... just hope the victorian plasterwork's nice and strong underneath....

Oh, and Russ, stripping party at mine? ;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I tried it once.
Thinking I could cheat on some plastering.

result,I ended up wasting money on IT then spending to buy plaster to do the job properly,which is what I should have done in the first place.

My prediction is,this is another product that we will all be saying"Whatever happened to Polycell Smoothover" in about 3 years time.

RALPH.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I've done the ceiling in our lounge and the hall and stairs with it and there is definitely a knack to it. I was covering a lovely shell pattern on the ceiling and I found it was easiest to:

Sand the celling to remove the highest/lowest bits (The bits that come down furthest from the ceiling)
Smoothover and leave to dry.
Smoothover again and leave to dry.
Sand and then paint.
The finish isn't like glass but better than a lot of plastering I've seen.

It's not easy and a lot of patience is needed. If you can afford a plasterer then I would defo go with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts