Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if all ovals have semiphores, or were there different models which didnt have any, but did have the bigger 60s rear lights? because i no of a 1956 ex RAF oval which has been restored to original condition, but it has no semiphores and lack of the small rear lights? so im confused!?

·
Registered
30,752 Posts
Mine didn't (US '57) but AFAIK they all had small single colour rear lamps, but it may have been "upgraded" by the owner at some stage.

Justin.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
By the sound of your description I would say that somewhere along the line something has been altered or upgraded. Our '55 Oval certainly had semaphores and small rear lamps. We fitted (mid '60's) flashing indicators front and rear along with the lamps of that period, so it is entirely possible that someone has done likewise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, in the USA, they dropped the semaphores for "bullet" flashing indicators in front and the larger glass-lens tail lights starting partway into 1955 model year at chassis number 1-0871207

·
Registered
25,651 Posts
All pre 55 cars had semaphores, from Jun 55 the US and Canadian markets had bullet front indicators, and flashing rear brakelights with a six wire indicator switch.
The US used special bubble lens tailights for one year around 54/55 I can't remember the dates.
However many many cars, particularly in Europe had flashing indicators fitted in place of semaphores, this was often because of local regulations, Germany outlawed semaphores in 1964 I believe, so many pre 62 cars in Germany for example lost semaphores/heart lights/snowflake lights, and gained wing top indicators and 62 spec tailights. In some cases the semaphore slots were plated over when cars were resprayed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts