Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear that they can set fire to a bucket of piss at 300 yards....

anyone hot one? are they better/more reliable than the points method?

they sem to be different prices to...whats the diff?

·
Registered
30,762 Posts
I've used pertronix ignitor for 7 years now on a few different beetles, easier starting, better fuel economy. No complaints. ;)

Justin.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I been running the petronix ignitor for last few years an its been trouble free only downside the coil heats up alot when ignition on an engine not runnin ..but if i need to work on elecrtics with engine off just disconnect feed to coil..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any clue as to where these are available?

thanks in advance.....phil

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
There are different 'types' of electronic ignition - from simple replacement for the points (leaving the distributor, condensor and coil) through to a complete replacement where there is no distributor and the coil and condesor are replaced by 'ignitor packs' an dthe timing comes from a chuck of electronics that is controlling the fuel injection.

Which one you go for depends what motor you have, how much money you have, and what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that seems cheap. why are others charging around 150? is it because you get the dizzy too?

do the pertronix fit to your existing 009?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, typed my reply before i saw your response.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, i will have a look.

basically, i have a standard 1200 engine, and i am trying to pre empt problems before winter.

i have recently bought this dub and the guy said the dizzy plate was bent, though it seems to start ok so far.

but winter looms.

i have had a paris ragtop die in front of my eyes, and currently have a bay in the shop having the bottom 12 inches replaced.

im trying to keep this on as a daily driver, so want to iron out any potential problems before they start.....

i know.

im a fool...

·
Registered
30,762 Posts
I have the pertronix that replaces points in a 009, they're only around £60.
You don't need a Flamethrower coil, a good Bosch blue will work fine.

Justin.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does that usually see you through winter?

do you run it through winter?

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
I shall be interested to see what others recommend - but when I was a penniless student/rock climber I used a 6 volt coil with a resistor switched in its circuit. This mean I could run the 6v coil at the whatever the battery was putting out when it was cranking the engine - and so a nice fat spark to start the motor - and the flick the switch so the resistor kicked in and the 6v coil got 6v and the resistor 6v. They are called ballasted coils I think if you can find them.

That and the dinky pertronix to replace the possibly troublesome points will be towards a sure start in the morning.

Edit - and now I am wildly rich I get my butler to push the car in the mornings when it won't start!!

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
oberonspacefruit said:
basically, i have a standard 1200 engine, and i am trying to pre empt problems before winter.

im trying to keep this on as a daily driver, so want to iron out any potential problems before they start........
A stock vacuum distributor and a set of points are all you need on a basic daily. Points easily last between full service intervals without adjustment and take just a few minutes to replace, the important thing being buy quality Bosch parts. There's nothing wrong with going 'electronic' if you want, but you'll see and feel no difference in performance on a 1200 and reliability is down to quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts