Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ...

My girlfriend is desperate to get a dog .. we've been talking about it for a while and I've had my sensible hat on, putting her off and making sure she's serious and not being whimsical but she's still set on the idea ...

.. My concern is that we both work Mon-Fri 9-5 and I'm worried about leaving the poor blighter in all day on it's own ...

Now some people say that it'd be fine, some folks say not so much ...

How does anyone who works 9-5 become a dog owner?

We've got several folks nearby that could occasionally pop in of a lunch or whatever to check on the prospective dog but I don't want to feel reliant on other people's generosity as there's no chance I can get back from work at lunch, and it'd be hard for the Mrs too ...

If, in a worst case scenario, we were to & feed and let the dog out in the garden for an hour in the morning (it's enclosed), best case take it for a walk, then leave it in the house for the day while we were at work, then walk and feed it at night ... is that ok for a dog?

We're looking at a black Lab at the minute which I know have a rep for being distructive if they get bored ...

Dog owners - What are your experiences? Can you put my mind at rest?

Cheers Folks

Cliff :)

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
My old dog Schwartz was a mainly at home dog and I feel guilty that he had that loneliness. When I became self employed he had a better life.
My 2 dogs, Spuddy and Forbie are also at home dogs, when they're not able to travel in my van, but they are happy with each other's company. they have a better quality of life than Schwartz had.
Forbie sleep all day and Spuddy barks at sparrows farting in the next village, pigeons passing the windows, or cars passing the front of our vennel. She may even bark a little if a wagon goes by on the A1, 1/2 a mile away.
Truth is, if you want a dog to stay at home for 8 hours a day, the least you can do is give it another dog for company. 1 dog is great but 2 are marvellous!

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,279 Posts
:)

It is possible but everyone will tell you not and to an extent that is true. You will need at least a week to settle him in as a pup and it isn't going to be easy.
My wife & I fulfilled a dream and got a Bassett Hound (Notoriously bad on their own) and to be honest it was a hard first 6 months. It would be easy for me to sit here looking back with rose tinted glasses 4 years on and say it was a piece of piss......but its not.
Owning a dog, settling it in and getting it mentally ready to leave all day is hard work and something I wasn't expecting.
Here I am though, years later with a great dog who is left all day that I wouldn't be without. He's a gem. Just look:

Just don't forget to walk him before and after work and make a fuss and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Cheers,
Andy
:)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys ... I'm under no illusion that it'll be hard work for at least the 1st 6 months to get the dog trained and settled ... just something we're gonna have to get to grips with though ...

Gonna go see some pups tomorrow ... just to see mind!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

C

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got two dogs so they keep each other company in the day, you can get a dogflap for the back door like I have and I always leave the radio on for them. They're often in the garden when I get home in the summer, but I've never found them dancing round the front room......

In all honesty I'd rather have the one and take her to work with me, but my knob of a brother fell head over heels with the spawn of satan and "it" didn't like dogs so I got lumbered with his. I'd of ditched the woman without a doubt - as soon as she even hinted at losing the pooch!

I wouldn't say it's a good idea to leave a black lab on it's own all day, I don't know what your jobs are but is it a possibility to take the said hound to work?

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
its something that has always crossed my mind when thinking about getting a puppy or kitten. i would want to spend loads of time with it when i first got it as it would have been taken away from mum and brothers and sisters, but then as a contrast i'd then go to work and leave it....

i don't know if dogs are happy to sleep all day like cats would.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
I have a 12 month old miniature English Bull Terrier, never had a puppy before this and never would again. It's been a really tough 12 months with him, he is like a tazmanian devil and will probably never be able to be left all day. :(

On the other hand, our other 3 dogs have been more mature rescue dogs from the local dogs home and each of them has been left at home quite happily whilst we worked full time. :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't like cats ...

Our house is detached with a nice big garden which is completely enclosed so a 'dog flap' isn't such a bad idea ...

I work in IT for a large bank and the wife-to-be works for Boots in the head office (marketing) so no chance we could take a dog to work .... :(

Will need to talk to folks who can look in on it for us I think ...

C

·
Premium Member
15,620 Posts
I'd suggest looking into breeds and which dogs are more suited to 8 hours on their own.

Labradors are working dogs and need exercise, a lot of it. On a cold dark January evening with rain pouring down, after a shitty day at work are you prepared to spent a couple of hours walking and exercising your dog?

Try the kennel club website to find dogs which suit your situation rather than trying to adapt the dog.

I've a website somewhere that matches owner to suitable breeds, i'll post it up when I find it.

We spent weeks trying to decide on a breed we liked and that suited us, then another eight months looking at litters. It was the best thing we did. Six years later, still a healthy dog, no fat on him from lack of exercise, doesn't chew, doesn't bark, never been to the vets (apart from boosters), sociable with other dogs, great with kids. A perfect dog for us.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you don't want to impose on people then there are several companies near me that will visit your dog and take it out for you, I'm assuming that similar companies exist local to you?

Google dog sitters or ask local vets / rehoming centres etc. A rescue dog solves the puppy situation too, and I for one would rather give an unwanted dog a home.....

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Get a Maine **** cat, they behave like dogs.

We went to the same process. I wanted a pet again as I had always had dogs. because we both work all day having a dog was not realistic. I mentioned that to a friend who happened to have a Maine **** and she told me about the breed. We got two two years ago and I have never looked back. I am amazed at the way they behave, greet you when you come home like a dog would, play fetch with balls and other toys. Will follow you and show so much affection and also they are bigger than most small dogs.

Will bringing is ball to paly fetch:

Labs are dog who need to exercise a lot during the day. I had dogs for 22 years (English setters) when I lived in the countryside and I would have never let them alone all day and would always ensure that when not able to be with us they would have been taken for a long walk at least 4 times a day.

·
Registered
21,156 Posts
I would get 2 mate, we had one at first cos our neighbour said he could visit everyday and he did but we fealt guilty on the days he couldn't, so we got another for company. I wold also definately consider a dog flap, click here , we're gonna get one in the summer when we can afford new windows.

Like Smull says, you'll deffo need at least a week off, we took two though :D .

They get on great and we walk them for about at least an hour every night, longer on weekends.

They love each other mate and you'll prefer 2 anyway I think, plus they do things like this :lol:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ballbag you've 2 good looking dogs there! Is the one on the left a border terrier??

I would agree with what everyone has said. We have a patterdale terrier and she gets walked for a good half an hour before i go to work even when dark and wet. Then she gets a good hours walk when i'm back at 5.30. plus a 15 minute walk just before bed. The trick i find is to have a choice of about 10 long walks and then alternate them plus a mix of shorter walks so the dog doesn't get bored of going the same route. Make sure on the weekend you go on adventures!!

All the best with whatever pup you choose.

Nathan

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
i did the petplanet quiz. look what it gave me....

erm, i don't think so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's my two:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=315363&l=a4395&id=646157142

Mine get a walk round the park every night, a good mission both weekend days and lot's of missions in the summer evenings!

There's more of them on facebook but I think it only lets you see the one from that link? I'll post some up when I can't hear takeaways and beer calling me.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.