Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed my doors do not have drain holes - and after the heavy rain we had a couple of weeks ago, the bottom of the passenger door was full of water.
I'm going to drill a couple of holes.
My question is - what size hole do you recommend - and is there a recommendation as to what I should use to protect the bare metal once I've drilled the holes?

·
Highly Respected Member
2,579 Posts
I would say 5-6mm. I would prime and top coat. Then apply cavity wax.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
On an original Beetle door, the drain holes are 8 mm, through the outer door skin only, but partially covered by the inner skin:

This is intentional to to allow the seam between the inner and outer skins to drain by capillary action, ensuring that water doesn't get trapped for too long inside the seam, as this causes rapid corrosion between the 2 skins

If you have to drill drain holes in a replacement outer skin, make them as close as possible to the inner skin but DO NOT drill through the inner skin. Pull the rubber door seal out so you can measure exactly where to put the holes

As keekster64 said, carefully treat the bare edges of new holes (I use Zinc primer (cold galvanising), and topcoat) and inside the bottom of the doors. (I've used VW Cavity wax , Waxoil or Dinitrol ).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Use an 8mm spot weld drill bit.This will give you a nice clean hole without going through the inner skin. Plenty of cavity wax to keep the rust at bay ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts