Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Certainly not an experienced expert on the matter but I usedî evostickî type contact adhesive. Put the rubber in place all around the door (bay van) and where it didnít touch I applied a small amount of glue to the door pushed the rubber against it for a second and then held it away until both surfaces were tacky then pushed together. Be warned that when they touch they STICK. :eek: I have only done it around the hinge area and a bit near the lock and didnít have much trouble, althouge it took me ages to pluck up the courage to do it!! :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
not used any adhesive on my 1970 beetle and they hav'nt moved, What i did do is trim the rubbers with a sharp pair of scissors. they seemed to stick out of the car, if that makes sence. (trimmed the over lap bits that stick out when the door is closed)

good luck

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Graham W said:
not used any adhesive on my 1970 beetle and they hav'nt moved, What i did do is trim the rubbers with a sharp pair of scissors. they seemed to stick out of the car, if that makes sence. (trimmed the over lap bits that stick out when the door is closed)
good luck
As with Graham when I did my last beetle I didn't use any adhesive and had no problems.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi, first time I did it I bought cheapish seals and needed to stick them all the way round (used spray adhesive from B&Q, great stuff half of my bus is stuck together with it) but I was never happy, the doors just didn't shut right so you needed to slam the sh*t out of it to close it.

So eventually paid up 40 odd quid a side to get the German ones (grey colour) they're lovely and only need sticking on the bottom of the door where it's a bit rusty, all the rest of the way round they just sit in the channel that's there.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
al_kaholik said:
Cheap seals need adhesive. But save yourself a lot of hassle, leaks and wind noise by buying the genuine ones. They will pay for themselves by not perishing within a year or two.
yep I agree with that. I'd also say that if using Evostick, don't use it all the way around otherwise the next owner (or you in a few years) will be cursing lots when they try and take the old seals out!

Adrian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts