Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new build thread featuring my two 1303's.

I hated Beetles once I became a teenager, purely because my parents had owned nothing but and all my friends parents had 'nice' cars, well ones with heaters! And once I passed my test I longed for a Ford Mexico. I count get insured so I got a Mk1 1300E instead, yet the day I passed my test the first car I drove was my mums 1303!

But at 18 I got my first bug, and the bug. I had a few different guises over the years but never owned a 1303, probably because I always loved the Cal Look, and as Bug Jam No1 had just happened that was where I was at then, and going forward.

Fast forward to 2010, my Dad was in the grips of prostate cancer and dementia had just kicked in. But before he became really ill he gave my his 1303. A car he purchased new in 1973, and hold loads of memories, and now I was the custodian.

Move on again to 2012, my mum decided to quit driving and could I sell her Beetle. A car she owned from only when it was only a couple of months old.

Yesterday I travelled 300 miles by train to north of Newcastle, then drove from there back home, 282 miles by road in 1303 No2, which was my mums car!

I'm well chuffed to own them, and well chuffed they are back together again, all be it on a different drive.

So both cars have every MOT from new and a shed load of memories.

I plan on updating this thread from time to time, but I do plan on starting a new thread for my dad's as photobucket have destroyed the one I had, and also a new one for my mums. Each car has a different plan so best to do them seperately.

But for now here are some pics of the two together

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
So sorry to read about your dad's illness, not a nice way to inherit a car, but hopefully you can have some great memories through his car.

1303 enthusiast here, so looking forwards to your updates!

·
Registered
839 Posts
What a lovely pair, I've never been a fan of the 1303 but they have been growing on me of late. Like Leggy said, not the happiest way to become the custodian of your Dad's bug (I inherited my late father's Citreon Berlingo so in a way your situation could have been worse).
I'm following this thread with interest.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Don't watch with too much interest the posts will be slow in coming!:lol:

Two more boxes today.
Both for 002, Kerscher shocks and a box of trim bits, wing beading, bumper iron rubbers and overrider trim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I'm planning for each is pretty different for each.

001(Dad's) is having a nut and bolt resto in the next couple of years and as I have owned it for 7 years I have collected a few bits for it along the way, all of which I will take pics of as I dig them out of the garage. It will still be black and pretty much everything that will go on it will be black also. So all the chrome will be stripped or replaced and paint body colour. I've collected things like Kamei spoilers, Empi overriders, Empi gauges, Talbot mirrors, GSR steering wheel, bumpers, Autolplas rear window Louvre, seals etc etc, all NOS, and then all sorts of quality used parts. Its hard to explain but I have a vision in my head!
Engine wise it will use the same block but out to 2007cc using my CSP super comp exhaust and it will be prep'd for efi, but will possibly use Bene Berg specials.
Interior wise, I have NOS rear pop outs, the Empi gauges and I have a nos rear Kamei parcel shelf. The front seats were originally in 002(Mums) but the will stay in it and be retried in red to match the original door cards, and it will have a 1/2 roll cage, nose down 70's stance with the all out intention of it being 'something' VW may have done mid 70's, well my take on it. I have MAG industry wheels to go on that have just been restored by Classic Car Revivals, pic below.
The most important thing is though I want it all to be bolt on so if I ever want it back to standard I can.

002(Mums) will be my daily driver in the new year, probably Feb time. I have a one owner, fsh, MK1 Audi TT, with low mileage that will be giving way to this 03. I need it to be comfortable and start at 3am and I have a few months to get it that way. I have a heated front screen to go in, heated Porsche seats, and Mk1 Golf heated mirrors. The big change though and why it will be Feb is that it is booked into Fellows Speedshop for a 2L Subaru engine conversion in Jan, and if funds allow 5 speed box. It'll piss the purists off but I think I've earned the right with these two bugs to take them into their next reincarnation, knowing what they mean to me and the memories.
Externally it will look as it should. I'm changing the 'Cal Look' window rubbers back to the ones with chrome trim and the a few seals need replacing, but its pretty good really. The chap I just purchased it from fitted Halo headlights. It will be lowered, and on 001 at the moment are the wheels that were on my mums car and I retained them when I sold it for her in 2012. They too will be refurbed, they are original Sprints and I will see what silver and gold come up like.

I'll try and document it all as I go.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't watch with too much interest the posts will be slow in coming!:lol:
I'm sure the majority of us understand, I certainly do as my bug has lain in pieces for 4 of the 6 years I've had it. I was full of enthusiasm but spend most of my spare time driving my sons to football training/matches etc. I love that they're both aspiring footballers but it takes away all of my working on the bug time.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added another heated screen switch which will be for the front screen. The windscreen washer is a rear screen switch painted blue. I hate electrics but if I can summon up the courage ill switch it back to the stork and use the nos fog light switch for front and rear fogs eventually. The stork has a 3rd position which I assume is for intermittent but it doesn't work?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1/2hr later and a few parts from Heritage. Hopefully sorted now, just need the smell of fuel that I spilt whilst lifting a 3/4 full tank to check the fuel line underneath to clear! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Body and Chassis have been separated. At some point in the last 5 years, one of the other custodians had welded a thin bit of tin to the underside of the n/s heater channel and on the drivers side on the bulkhead, just behind the brake reservoir. Only issue with what the done was that the welded, in both cases body to floor. I pulled them off with my fingers, why even bother doing it!
I purchase some heavy duty lorry axle stands off flea bay, some 8ft scaffold, and armed with my Bug Me dvd separated the body and floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where the cheap tin plate had been added on the underside of the n/s heater channel, moisture had collected and completely knackered the floor pan edge. The rest of the floor is solid and genuine. I can't make my mind up whether to replace the whole floor or just the edge? I think I would find it easier to replace the whole floor rather than try and seam weld the edge in, just not sure. I have purchased a 18 gauge heavy duty pan 1/2 ready for whatever I decide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Driver side is fine, all solid. One of the captive nuts snapped so I'll sort that but I did purchase some Hookys closing panels for both sides just in case this side needed it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Collected a few bits for this in the last couple of months, some Performance Industries alloys which I'm yet to collect, new chrome genuine trim, new window rubbers with metal trim and these, Karobe seat covers and 70's headrests, plus a EMPI nos engine dress up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 151 Posts