Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nope, not really, drugs are illegal, and if you are commiting illegal acts, they can sack you. (but only if that act interferes with work!)

What do you do for a living?

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
shane r said:
My boss just casually announced that they may begin 'random drug testing' for staff.

I'm not worried in the slightest but, isn't this somehow a breach of my human rights or some such thing?

Shane
What do you do for work?

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
Before I respond to the 'what do you do for work' question... let's not jump to the conclusion that all drugs are illegal- they obviously aren't. Wouldn't they have to say what they are looking for and why? I mean, a cop couldn't ask me for a drug test, just by randomly choosing me.

Shane

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
think they can unfortunately, dont do it in my place though!! my mate works in JCB doing the same thing as me and not only do they do drug tests but also they have breathilisers......

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
ficknoster said:
What ones are they planning to test on you? I'd personally go for the weed and forklift driving experience. :D

Yes I think they can do that... but I would have thought it was if it affected work at all.
:lol:

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
You may have missed something in the small print when you signed for the job...

I believe that they have every right to test you, but don't quote me on that ;)

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
ficknoster said:
What ones are they planning to test on you? I'd personally go for the weed and forklift driving experience. :D

Yes I think they can do that... but I would have thought it was if it affected work at all.
Exactly, I doubt shelf stackers in Asda would get tested but health workers might.

·
ready for the off....
36,619 Posts
I imagine they must have good cause to test you, although in the industry I work in - Highways and Railways - its written into our terms and conds that if we are over the limit with either drugs of booze then 'shut the door on the way out..."

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
I'm the Director of IT at a large school/college, so there are obvious issues here.

This from Drug testing in the workplace: Summary conclusions of the Independent Inquiry into Drug Testing at Work

"Conclusion
Drug testing can have an important role in safety-critical and other occupations where the public is entitled to expect the highest standards of safety and probity. Aside from this, there is no justification for drug testing simply as a way of policing the private behaviour of the workforce, nor is it an appropriate tool for dealing with most performance issues."

And no, I didn't sign anything remotely allowing drug testing or anything of that nature.

My union says 'tell them to piss off'

Shane

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Morally I think it's wrong, although if you work in an environment where drugs could either affect you at work (using machinery) or have a negative impression on the organisation you work at then they would have just cause to test you.

I'd be fucked, but then again I always am :lol: ;)

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I do a lot of design work for a small company, so obviously the drugs help my creativity. :D :incheek: The boss has told me he doesnt care what I do outside of work as long as it doesnt affect my performance in work etc. :)

In your environment I wouldnt know where you would stand. I've got wasted with plenty of teachers from Primary school to one of my College lecturers... They used to say that they feel they take them 'responsibly' friday/saturday nights and thats it, leaving them fine for the next week. Trouble is with drugs being illegal one way or another your employer can only really turn a ignore this or go the whole hog with testing. Governing whether your usage is responsible or not isnt an option.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
More from my Union...

An employer has no right to say what an employee does on his/her own time. Even if that activity is deemed illegal/immoral etc. Even if that activity is deemed to effect on the job performance, as the employee has no obligation to organise their private lives in such a way as to maximize job performance.

Issues of safety are only relevant where there is a fear that the employee is abusing substance while on the job, and that job is one where the safety of the employee and others is a concern.

Shane

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
shane r said:
More from my Union...

An employer has no right to say what an employee does on his/her own time. Even if that activity is deemed illegal/immoral etc. Even if that activity is deemed to effect on the job performance, as the employee has no obligation to organise their private lives in such a way as to maximize job performance.

Issues of safety are only relevant where there is a fear that the employee is abusing substance while on the job, and that job is one where the safety of the employee and others is a concern.

Shane
Oh my God, who signed that statement off?

Unions can be a good thing, but it's shit like this that makes me think all the wrong people, the moaners, the unhelpful, indignant types are running the gaff.

What a ludicrous statement to make. By that, I could stay up virtually all night, drinking, bang on whatever I could find, and just spend my entire working life hungover, stinking like the local pubÖ

·
Registered
310 Posts
The issue of safety that your local authority will probably use is that you are "a role-model for young adults during their formative years." One of my favorite people at school drove a Splitty and I now own a Beetle so maybe they are right! :)

Anyway yes testing without cause sucks, but refusing a test when asked to take one voluntarily is 'suspicious', after all what could you be hiding, and is cause in itself. You could possibly get away with arguing the invasion of privacy issue, but I wouldn't count on it and if you are successful it will be in bold print when you renew your contract.

So yeah, once again its the difference between what is legal and what is practical. In this case it is your legal right to refuse the test, however in practical terms its not worth it.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
i'm sure i've seen that union statement before. which union do you belong to?

as far as i know if random drugs testing isn't in your contract and they wish to bring it in, they have to run a consultation, as you're legally entitled to be consulted on any changes to your contract. I believe they have to give you 90 days to think about it too. needless to say they'd have to have a very good reason to bring a move like this into your contract. see here for info on consultation

I'm just speculating but it may be that they're doing it because they have suspicions about one particular person, however must operate within the law and test randomly if at all. Otherwise all your managers can do is report their suspicion to the police, who won't act without evidence anyway.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
shane r said:
More from my Union...

Shane
I don't agree with that.

If I came in to work repeatedly hungover even though I was drinking in my own time I would get the sack. Why? Because something I'd done outside of work would be interfering with my work ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
shane r said:
More from my Union...

Shane
surely that can't be applicable to everything.... I have to be security cleared for my work so if i get arrested and then charged with an offence then that could jepordise my job. What about Police? (just as an example).

If your employer thinks someone is under the influence of drugs then surely they should be entitled to test? I don't think it's fair btw, just looking from an employer perspective.

Have you checked your employee hand book (if you have one)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts