Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was putting on my new drop spindles and once just about everything was back together, my drum wouldn't completley fit back over the spindle. I meansured the diameter of the inner bearing race on the spindle and sure enough was bigger than the stock one. My buddy had mentioned this to me and of course I told him, "I know what I'm doing". Anybody deal with this issue? New inner bearings? Any info is appreciatied.

·
Registered
697 Posts
sounds like your dropped spindles are for disc brakes and not drum brakes.

i had a simular problem when i fitted drop spindles with my csp discs.

i think i was able just to replace the bearing to the other type without any problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disc brake spindles huh? Man I'll lose my mind if that's the case. Do you know if there's a way to verify that for sure?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
early ball joint cars run a different inner wheel bearing than latercars.

on early ones, you need to fit later inner bearings when you use dropped spindles

what year is your car?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a '68, which I kinda considered a later model. So, for example, looking on cool air vw website, the only option for inner bearing I see is for 66-68. So seems like that would be the same one I have already. I don't know about finding 69 and on. I would try a later one for sure....if I could find one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You may find that you will have to replace your wheel bearings for later model bearings and also the tie rod ends as your originals may also be a smaller diameter, that's what i had to do when i fitted them to my 67 beetle

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have new tie rod ends installed already. Basically I'm just trying to figure out what inner bearings to get a hold of. Seems everywhere I look people say 68 and later. But mine is a 68.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
in 68 there were quite a few that had left over parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had 67 stub axles.

Get to a GSF and order inner wheel bearings and seals for a 70 and you should be sorted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts