Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running these? Are they any good on a stock 1600? fuel economy etc. I cant find manifolds for them anywhere. Is the linkage available?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
jugglemonkey86 said:
Is anyone running these? Are they any good on a stock 1600? fuel economy etc. I cant find manifolds for them anywhere. Is the linkage available?

Cheers guys
DCOEs are side draught - so nothing wrong with running them except you need the correct manifold. The IDF/IDA combo is much more suited.

Some people have fitted the DCOE to supercharger/turbocharger installs - then they make sense.

But roughly a DCOE is an IDA rotated - so operation is pretty well alike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Metric, I think I need to read up a bit more as i dont understand all the sidedraft/downdraught shinnanagans. I think i may stick with the DRLA's I was looking at as they are a more standard mod?

thanks again metric. just I saw some very cheap on ebay so was going to go for them as a budget option

:hangloose

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Glad to help
Yes, I would stick to the standard downdraughts that people use - there are lots of kits and knowledge about them and so it is easy to get stuff working.
IDA, IDF, DRLA are all good and 'standard'.

Sidedraught - the air goes in horizontally - and usually the pistons go up and down vertically
Downdraught - the air goes in vertically and the pistons move horizontally, usually.

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
A dual 40 on a 1600 will give a bit more power but I wouldn't expect much from the fuel economy, and there might be issues with carb icing too.

The biggest recommendation is the throttle linkage is simpler than for twin carbs, but you'll get more power and better economy from putting the carb closer to the head.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Downdraught - the air goes in vertically and the pistons move horizontally, usually.
or in a 'V' engine V6,V8,V12 ;)

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Forsh said:
or in a 'V' engine V6,V8,V12 ;)
I thought he was talking about the pistons in the carbs (Strombergs, that kinda thing)

Of course he may just be rambling. He's old :(

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Piss of you two :) -
1) I put usually , in case some smart arse came along and said - ah - but in the 1923 BSA cycle car they had a down up draught and the pistons went in circles.
2) I wondered which befuddled fool would think of dashpots

foowee - I spit on you all

·
4,995 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Piss of you two :) -
1) I put usually , in case some smart arse came along and said - ah - but in the 1923 BSA cycle car they had a down up draught and the pistons went in circles.
2) I wondered which befuddled fool would think of dashpots

foowee - I spit on you all
:p

and i wouldn't call IDAs 'standard'
:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*wide eyed and new* really?!?! :)

·
4,995 Posts
jugglemonkey86 said:
*wide eyed and new* really?!?! :)
yeh really!! every one knows that - the sad thing is Metric thinks he was making it up
:incheek:

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Young people of today, no manners, no respect, no jobs, no pension, not like that in my day - you could go down the pub on a Friday night get pissed, go to the chip shop, and drive the horse home all for a groat! You could get a job, get a pension and be debt free by the time you are 45 - and you could drive cars around without catalysers, negative roll radius, no fumes recirculation - and you could use the man with the red flag to aim at!!

BSA Cycle car - great Brummie car - as long as you didn't get a Friday one - well nor one built on a Monday, Tuesday ... anyhow great Britsh tradition, don't make them like that nowadays

mumble, ramble, dither .......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts