Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon and early convertible beetle the other day, I never got chance to get the chassis number but I believe its late 50's. All there apart from a few parts off the engine (Carb, Distributor and dynamo), which he probably has there anyway. Wings are wrong and didn't see any correct ones there though.

All completely solid, no rust or repairs that I could see.

any rough ideas on what it's worth?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Dude that is a pre 1955, bearing in mind it is RHD it makes it the 13th one known now days, i have one of the others.

it has a few wrong parts like steering wheel rear view mirror to take a stab at, and it should have had semaphores and hearts. But the ribbed doors and rear 1/4 panels give it away, they are pre 55.

name your price, there is a few rough pre 55s on the samba, both around $20k, and this one looks cleaner than one of them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I know some bits like the wings are wrong but did not know about the other bits and pieces. Where would the semaphores have been located?

I will take a closer look around it next time I get the chance, get more detailed pics so can show what is missing/or not correct for the year, and get the chassis number too.

The guy wanted £3-4k for it.

Lee

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know some bits like the wings are wrong but did not know about the other bits and pieces. Where would the semaphores have been located?

I will take a closer look around it next time I get the chance, get more detailed pics so can show what is missing/or not correct for the year, and get the chassis number too.

The guy wanted £3-4k for it.

Lee
Lee buy it at that money, it is cheap. Is the car in Cornwall, as i am in Newquay. It looks like an easy get on the road, can pop over and give you some advice. The semaphores are here

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
The deck lid is missing, get a picture of the inside of the the wheel well, there should be some nuymbers stamped on it, they are the karmann numbers 15xxxxxx

·
Registered
58 Posts
The glovebox lid lock is missing- I think this is quite hard to find for an early cabrio. Window rubbers are missing too, these can be expensive. Also, are the rear window glass & frame there? I assume it'll need new wooden bows for the frame- you're looking at about £1000 for a whole new set of those! (decent quality ones). Talking of the hood, if you need a complete new one it'll cost a few thousand quid to have done professionally (this isn't an easy DIY job!).
Check that the rear seat is a genuine cabrio one, they're not the same as a tin-top one, and a tin-top one won't fit. That can be a hard-to-find part too.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but don't forget the shipping, import, VAT costs etc.

Having said all that, it is a good price and you won't find many around, especially original RHD ones.

Good luck with it! :)

BTW, I sent you a PM earlier with some more info.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- check the condition of the cabrio sill strengtheners under the heater channels. These are important for the structural integrity of the car. Also check the door gaps are even all the way from the top of the door to the bottom. Uneven gaps can be a sign of rotten sill strengtheners.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The deck lid is missing, get a picture of the inside of the the wheel well, there should be some numbers stamped on it, they are the karmann numbers 15xxxxxx
I'm back home in Cornwall now. Will be sure to go back there next time, should be back in Thailand in a couple of months. Thanks for the heads up on the numbers. :)

The glovebox lid lock is missing- I think this is quite hard to find for an early cabrio. Window rubbers are missing too, these can be expensive. Also, are the rear window glass & frame there? I assume it'll need new wooden bows for the frame- you're looking at about £1000 for a whole new set of those! (decent quality ones). Talking of the hood, if you need a complete new one it'll cost a few thousand quid to have done professionally (this isn't an easy DIY job!).
Check that the rear seat is a genuine cabrio one, they're not the same as a tin-top one, and a tin-top one won't fit. That can be a hard-to-find part too.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but don't forget the shipping, import, VAT costs etc.

Having said all that, it is a good price and you won't find many around, especially original RHD ones.

Good luck with it! :)

BTW, I sent you a PM earlier with some more info.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- check the condition of the cabrio sill strengtheners under the heater channels. These are important for the structural integrity of the car. Also check the door gaps are even all the way from the top of the door to the bottom. Uneven gaps can be a sign of rotten sill strengtheners.
Read your PM yesterday, but was way busy. Will reply in a mo.

I never got underneath it to confirm the runners, but the rest of the car is super solid. I checked heater channels, inside the engine bay, door bottoms and rear 1/4 bottoms (from inside as well, no signs of bodge or repairs).

I was not aware of the cost of a replacement roof, the original is there but I have a feeling it would need replacing. Correct back seat was there as well.

With all the parts missing and the cost of import it may not be viable for me right now. At least I know where it is for when finances permit.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.