etc

where did it all go wrong? 50 cent should be sat down and made to listen

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spiny said:
is that 'early' ? I feel old :)

though I guess '2-live-crew' doesn't count :)
:lol:

I'll tell you what really makes me feel old. The first Talking Heads album will be thirty years old next year... and I got it when it came out :(

Sounds like it was made yesterday though (cliche) and my kids love it... bloody should do... been playing it at them since birth... they walk round singing psycho killer :D

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
peelo said:
:lol:

I'll tell you what really makes me feel old. The first Talking Heads album will be thirty years old next year... and I got it when it came out :(

Sounds like it was made yesterday though (cliche) and my kids love it... bloody should do... been playing it at them since birth... they walk round singing psycho killer :D
I felt 'old' a few days ago, 'Groovy Train' by the farm popped up on the radio while I was going home from work and I sang along, then the DJ said it was from 'back in 1990'

16 years ago!

I remember clearly taping it to casette to play on my walkman while skateboarding ...

so I hummed it while 'boarding earlier today :)

It does concern me that the song is older than some members on here though :)

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spiny said:
I felt 'old' a few days ago, 'Groovy Train' by the farm popped up on the radio while I was going home from work and I sang along, then the DJ said it was from 'back in 1990'

16 years ago!

I remember clearly taping it to casette to play on my walkman while skateboarding ...

so I hummed it while 'boarding earlier today :)

It does concern me that the song is older than some members on here though :)
you think that makes you old :D

ha... in 1990 I had a CD walkman (still working), a CD changer in the car and one in the house and tape had already consigned to a footnote in history... and I was old enough to think the farm were crap :lol:

:)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ive just sat for a couple of hours ripping some of my older cds onto my laptop to stick on my creative sinc and one of them was velveteen by transvision vamp (i started at the bottom of the collection) and i remember her on totp and the tube when i was at school before joining the army in 1982 and im sure i was going through my locking myself in my room for weekends at a time faze because i had discovered WANKING and i remember her in her susys and stockings on telly ,recording it on my old beta max top loader with cable remote to pause at the intresting bits GOD I AM GETTING OLD ,atleast i can still get it up without pills (just goes off quicker) :lol: :D just looked at the pics on the sleeve and it still works ,i wonder what shes like now :D ,im getting worried cos it says copright 1989 on the box maybe im losing it and thinking about blondie shit im getting oldtimers

·
Registered
884 Posts
peelo said:
cop killer
og
express yourself
straight outta compton
911 is a joke
burn hollywood burn
etc

where did it all go wrong? 50 cent should be sat down and made to listen
sorry to have gone of on a tangent i think ive got 2 NWA albums,and a couple of 12" ers and a to live crew vid (some nice boot shaking if your into that thing )(it still worked) :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
50 cent, the game, chamillionaire etc should be strapped to a chair and made to listen to the artists mentioned and The Pharcyde, Big L, DITC, Kool G Rap, Lords of the underground, Pete Rock etc, and then beaten til they change their ways from boring ass wanksta rap, to good old funky ass hip hop!

·
Banned
6,339 Posts
Nice thread.

I was listening to NWA on Sunday, and PE are STILL the best hip-hop band eVaR. Also lovin' Paul's Boutique and lots of other stuff of that era.

I have a genius idea for a new TV format, 'Grumpy old ******' where early hip-hop stars complain that beats ain't as fresh as they used to be, and that these youngsters don't know nothin' about wearin' huge quantities of Gold and shit.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Good thread.

All went wrong when Marion "Suge" Knight got involved.

OK, some of the stuff to come from Death Row Records is pretty good, but the way he "did business" made it all go a bit "soft", he's pretty much responsible for destroying Tupac Shakurs career, and some would say had a large part to play in the death of both him and Christopher Wallace.

I still maintain he ruined Hip Hop and Rap music, if it wasn't for him, I don't think we'd have a "Ja Rule" (who really IS a cock).

Modern hip hop, I prefer the stuff that other fella, "The Game" does, but it's still no comparison to the stuff Eazy-E, Ice Cube, MC Ren, DJ-Yella and Dr Dre were coming out with.

Even Ice Cubes solo stuff somehow doesn't feel as "raw" as it used to.

Public Enemy are AWESOME, I love the work they did.

There is still good stuff out there though, you just have to "dig" for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gansta rap destroyed Hip Hop/ youth in general. IMHO. ;)

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Ferris said:
Gansta rap destroyed Hip Hop/ youth in general. IMHO. ;)
Explain ;)

I've listened to Gangsta Rap and Hip Hop since I've been into music pretty much, and I'm not a drug dealer, thug etc.

I don't "roll 20's on my whip"..

I don't mug old ladies.

It's not the music that's caused the problem, there is just an asociation.

I think it takes a very narrow minded person to listen to a hip hop / gangsta rap record and want to go and "pop a cap in someones ass" in all honestly...

I mean imagine if they'd got into Satanic Rock instead!, think of all the virgins they'd be sacrafising. :crazy:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
It all went wrong when people started doing "hardcore rap"

As Talib Kweli says on Dangerdooms "old school"
But folks got it all twisted, like a yoga position
Like, in order to spit it dope, you gotta have a criminal past
that's similar to the cast of Different Strokes
Me and my people break bread, sit and smoke
The conversation rich, but that depend on what you consider broke
I draw on anything for inspiration
A fond memory, a piece of paper, walls in a train station