Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just bought a 1972 bay, described as a crossover model. I'm not sure what that means - a bit of one year mixed with a bit of another year? Any clues? :confused:

Most importantly I just need to clarify which engine we've got, and where to find the engine code.

I thought it was pretty much the same as my beetle engine but looking in the Muir book it says in 1972 VW changed to the T4 engine. I've also just read this on earlybays.com..
This year also saw the introduction of the 1.7L flat Type 4 style engine with twin carbs{/QUOTE].

Now as I don't know what a T4, or twin carbbed engine looks like, can somebody just clarify if this is one, or if it's the T2 engine, similar to my beetle. Oh, it's a 1.6

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If the engine looks like the one in your beetle, its a type1/2 engine, ie upright cooling etc, if it doesnt look anything like the one in your beetle, its the type 4 engine.
Crossover bays are one year only, 72, they have low front indicators, like on the early bays, but with the larger rear light clusters as on the late bays.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typo

Thank you :) I felt really stupid asking that :eek: and I've just been speaking to a very nice man at Just Kampers who's told me the very same thing. :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Stark said:
Crossover bays are one year only, 72, they have low front indicators, like on the early bays, but with the larger rear light clusters as on the late bays.
They also have;

squarish air vents (behind the back side windows), earlies have cresent shaped ones.

non removable rear valance, earlies are removable with 4 bolts

different engine lid

possibly, flared arches

Front discs not drums (although 71's are disc too)

possibly different sliding doors - locks in body not in handle? can't remember what year that change is......

Don't worry about asking questions that you feel silly about - we all do it!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
popcorn balls said:
Don't worry about asking questions that you feel silly about - we all do it!
Thanks - still a bit embarrassed though - you're all so technical! :lol:

That sounds just like our bay - the lock is on the handle, not the body though. Flared arches I'm not sure about, I'll have a look at some pictures.

Following on from the theme, we've realised the reverse lights don't work. Now before we spend ages investigating, would there be a chance the lights were never connected up, even though the lense cluster indicates there is?
Tall rear lights, with reverse lights as an optional extra
(from earlybay.com) or is that just wishful thinking! :lol:

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
possible, but doubtful. The ones on our crossover were done from the factory.
Try bulbs, loose connectors on the back or checking the connectors to the reversing switch near the front of the gearbox

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
alfietinker said:
Following on from the theme, we've realised the reverse lights don't work. Now before we spend ages investigating, would there be a chance the lights were never connected up, even though the lense cluster indicates there is? (from earlybay.com) or is that just wishful thinking! :lol:
Reverse lights were only wired if ordered, so most came with no lights. Kits are available to install them if you wish.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've just had a quick look as best we can through the lens and can't see a bulb so finger's crossed we don't need to get them working for the MOT then! :D Thanks Moby, you're a star! :hug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts