Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havin bit of bother with carb !! its a weber 32/36 dfv was runnin ok but had a damp patch around base gasket so decided to get new base gasket an a rebuild kit which consisted of new float valve , floats, gauze filter an top gasket fitted all the above after havin carb cleaned in a sonic bath cleaner..
ordered base gasket (between manifold an base of carb) its a empi manifold when gaskets arrived there were 2 in pack (empi) shud I use em both ? I'm not usin the insulating block between carb an manifold ???
problem is a flat spot on first 1/4 of throttle opennin an a huge flat spot when throttlin off after high revs !
anyone got any ideas pleeese ;)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
As long as 1 gasket will fit and seal the carb to the manifold, just use the one, and keep the other as spare.

Flat spots may be down to the distributor if it's a 009.

These carbs can be problematic to get jetted right for aircooled use, but asking on here is a good first step. Someone should be able to help with the setup, they are a fairly popular conversion.

Dave.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The thin gasket is fine. I only used one on mine.
If the carb was ok before I would check you have the primary jets and emulsion tube in the correct places.
I have the correct sizes of jets if you need them, I bought a second hand carb and it was as you described it was a pig.
Changed the jets to the correct sizes and it goes really well and is very good on fuel when not driving hard.
Good luck
Paulus. :) :bandit:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same carb on my 1600 engine with a 009 distributor. To get it running smoothly I set my ignition to 30 degrees BTDC at 3000 rpm and used the setting up details from the Weber site for adjusting the carb.

The two sites below give you all the information you require

www.aircooled.net
www.redlineweber.com

Chris

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stripped carb cleaned it an blew it thru with air line, fitted the old floats and float valve there were 2 differences between the new float valve that came with rebuild kit. the new float valve had a brass tip(old un had rubber tip) and the float valve body didna hav a hole halfway up it (the original did)
refitted an flat spot has gone but revs cud be crisper an very lumpy at tickover an smells very rich on tickover set idle valve at 2 an a half screws out.
will check ignition timin tomorrow just in case !!
also runnin breather pipe from oil filler to air filter is this ok ?
cheers..

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gonna check ignition timin today , anyone recommend settin for a 1300sp runnin a 009 an petronix ignitor kit ?
cheers...

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
Do a search on here for how to time a 009 distributor, it's been covered plenty of times.

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts