Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hoping someone out there will be able to help.....I am putting together a 1641 engine based around a 1300 AB case. The case has not been opened up as engine was running fine with no or very little end float (didn't actually measure, but couldn't feel any movement at pulley). I am using a 200mm flywheel off a 1600 engine (which has a rubber o - ring as the old 180mm flywheel).

When it came to checking the end float then with a 0.30 and 0.24 shim in then there was 0.24 of movement. Haynes states that 0.10 movement is reqired with the three shims in place. As far as i am awhere the smallest shim available is 0.24. Since 3 x 0.24 = 0.72 it will be impossible to obtain the correct amount of movement.

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Have you tried measuring with the old flywheel ? Seems like it was OK before you changed to the 200 mm one. Are you sure you got all the old shims out, and that there is no old shim stuck to the 200 mm flywheel (I did that once, was measuring with 4 shims, had me puzzled for days).

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I had that problem with a race only 2276cc engine that I built with all new parts....

Granted, I wanted more than recommended stock end float.

I eventually set the flywheel up in the lathe and machined a few thou off the "contact" surface.
Very easy job ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the comments, will try with old flywheel and see what reading i get and also check for any sign of a burr. Am hoping will not come to having to do any machining of the flywheel........

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Fastorq said:
I had that problem with a race only 2276cc engine that I built with all new parts....

Granted, I wanted more than recommended stock end float.

I eventually set the flywheel up in the lathe and machined a few thou off the "contact" surface.
Very easy job ....
just what he said ^

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
GermanLkManx said:
My machinist charges me a quid to take 10 thou off the crank mating surface, so don't worry too much. Any local engineer will sort you out...

tom.
A Quid ??? :eek: :eek:

Is he Polish ?

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Moby5153 said:
Not exactly. Here he is about to make a complete flywheel from that old weight, all for a fiver.
For an extra £2.50 , you can have it dynamically balanced, mate :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts