Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question

Should i be putting an additive in the petrol?

I have been told i have a VEGE engine (5581H 449393)
so far i have run it on unleaded and have done about 2,000 mile with no trouble.

1500cc engine

many thanks

Graham

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi Graham

Bit like "what's the best oil", this one! Put 3 VW enthusiasts in a room and you'll get four answers. Let me try to give all five, with varying degrees of accuracy!

General consensus is "no need", for one or more of three reasons:

1. All VW engines built after a certain date were designed for unleaded (I'm not stating this as a fact, just as a widely held opinion, I'm not convinced).

2. Lack of lead will eventually cause valve seat wear, leading to the gap closing. Will probably take tens of thousands of miles (due to lead memory - see (3)), but then you check and adjust your valve gaps every 3.000 miles, don't you!

3. Engines exhibit "lead memory" - an engine that was run on lead will be protected for many (possibly tens) of thousands of miles before it notices you have swapped!

BUT

4) If you DO decide to use an additive, stick to the same one - they use different technologies and they aren't compatible. Buying the same one twice isn't always easy. I use Castrol Valvemaster (not on the VW, but on the Land Rover) - Halfords have undertaken to stock it for flumpty years (where 0 <= flumpty < 10).

5) And if you use an additive that boosts the octane (eg Valvemaster Plus), (a) you are wasting your money, and (b) you probably need to adjust the timing to compensate.

So, its up to you. I don't.

Hope this helps.

Tony

PS Stop worrying! :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moby5153 said:
Do you know the age of the engine then?
ahh i suppose not. all i know is that it was fitted in the car apx 10/11 years ago. I know its a VEGE recon engine and thats about it.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Graham W said:
ahh i suppose not. all i know is that it was fitted in the car apx 10/11 years ago. I know its a VEGE recon engine and thats about it.
All Vege engines were built to run on unleaded fuel from the early 80's. They did have a batch of engines/ re-con heads that failed miserably but that was back in the early 80's too and they were fixed under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts