Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I keep getting contradictory views, information about the best combination for my split bus. I've decided to leave the reduction boxes in place on my split bus, but want to be able to drive it at a resonable speed and get up hills. From experience, what's the best choice? :confused:

Thanks
Astronought

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the response.

I think I need to make the question clearer.

What is the best combination of gearbox and engine for this set-up keeping the reduction boxes.

The bus had an early 1200cc engine and I think the box is the original, although I'm not sure.

Should I go for a 1500 or a 1600, a single port or twin port engine?

Is the 1200 gearbox ok, or should I try and find a 1500 gear box?

Any other good options?

Cheers
Astronought

·
Registered
493 Posts
If the box is good I wouldnt bother changing it till you need to you can pick up 1500 split boxes with reduction boxes easily and cheaply as so many of us are straight axling or IRS'ing these day.

Engine wise it depends what your looking for, I have seen a few second hand 1500 turnkey engines go quite cheaply recently and they are luvely engines when there in good nick. But if your buying new it depends, if your 1200 singleport tinware fits the 1500 or 1600 singleport engine (hopefully someone else can tell you) then go for either but if you have already accounted for buying new tinware etc then go for 1600 twinport latest and greatest as it were.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Thanks for that, I've got the chance of a 1500, so I'll go for that for now, if the bloke ever finishes it. I might keep my eye out for a real low mileage one that hasn't been recon'd as a long-term choice.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts