Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change the engine in my T2 campervan, it is a 79 model but has a T1 engine twin port 1600. I am looking to put a T4 engine in and in the stage of early research and torn between a 2Litre or possibly the W code 1700. both seem to have similar bhp, because am i right that a 1700 W code was the porsche engine used in the 914 and reading into it more there is no difference to the internals (same crank, same cam, same b&p (other than a domed piston in the porsche version), to the 1700 vw engine. does the domed piston explain the 80bhp of the porsche vs the 68bhp of the vw 1700.

am i missing anything else? or was the porsche uprated power also down to the use of fuel injection rather than twin carbs?

any help here would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
1700 crank and rods are stronger than the 2ltr. The 1700 rockers accept porsche style swivel feet due to being an 8mm thread, the 2 ltr rockers are 10mm and are difficult to find a good 10mm threaded swivel foot adjuster. 1700 pushrods are better too being aluminium.

·
Administrator
167,168 Posts
Choose an engine with the round/oval exhaust ports (rather than the 'square' type) - or you will be into having a bespoke exhaust made.

Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
74 Posts
... the 2 ltr rockers are 10mm and are difficult to find a good 10mm threaded swivel foot adjuster. 1700 pushrods are better too being aluminium.
Thorsten makes nice 10mm swivel feet ..

Think its only the hydraulic lifter version push rods that are not aluminium

Choose an engine with the round/oval exhaust ports (rather than the 'square' type) - or you will be into having a bespoke exhaust made.

Good luck. (y)
Exhaust flange on our square port exchàngers is exactly the same as on our oval port ones ? Square port much easier ro seal too...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts