Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to look at a bus tomorrow and need a bit of advice.

Having just sold my old bay, I think i'm reasonably well informed about what to look for body-wise.

But.... I need some advice when looking at engines. My last bus broke down on the way home, leading to a new engine being required, and costing me a fortune.

I'm looking for any tips people can give me when checking out the condition of the engine. What to look for, any helpful hints etc. The bus i'm looking at seems like a good bus for the price, but i'd hate the same thing to happen again. The guy selling has told me there is a very slight oil leak from one of the pushrod tubes - what are the implications of this, and what checks can I do.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
As soon as you arrive, get him to fire it up and keep it running the whole time you're looking around it. You could take a big sheet of cardboard or something and slide it under the engine. After it warms up, any oil leaking will be shown on the card.

I'd then make him explain every oil spot.

My philosophy when buying a new VW has always been - body solid, electrics good...I don't give a shit if it even HAS an engine!

Shane

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.

Other than looking for oil leaks, is there any other physical or other checks I can do on the engine.

Also, what are the varying degrees of seriousness and how do I spot them? i.e. what can you just live with without problems, and at what point does a minor problem become hundreds worth of work/a new engine?

I appreciate that there is no exact science, and there will always be a degree of risk, just trying to avoid a repeat of last time!!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
mikeowen17 said:
Cool.

Other than looking for oil leaks, is there any other physical or other checks I can do on the engine.

Also, what are the varying degrees of seriousness and how do I spot them? i.e. what can you just live with without problems, and at what point does a minor problem become hundreds worth of work/a new engine?

I appreciate that there is no exact science, and there will always be a degree of risk, just trying to avoid a repeat of last time!!
you could do a compression test, halfords sells the testers and they aren't expensive. Also the basic yank on the front pully always is a good'un.

Most VW a/c engines leak from the pushrod tubes. An oil leak from behind the pulley could mean bad things and a faint deep thud could be big ends. Check the oil, old very black oil may mean they haven't looked after it too well

·
I really must get out more
5,667 Posts
end play push and pull the big pulley. if you can see it move its a good point to start haggling on. and rev it up to 3000/3500 for a few seconds let the gas off then listen for knocks or lumpy running back fire ect if you here an odd noise it may be big end or piston slap or it maybe just a badly ajusted carb.

i allways take old vw lumps as i see them if the van is being sold with a new engine then i want to see the recicepts ect if its an old lump then you pays ya money and you take the risk.
good look

1 - 5 of 5 Posts