Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Had a bit of trouble identifying my engine with the engine number, I think it may have been replaced at some stage but can’t figure it out. Have images attached and any help would be appreciated! All I know is the car is 1971 and it’s a 1200cc engine.
CD87A121-9F53-4A1B-AD96-1340C7C76998.jpeg
7BB91A52-5DE0-46AA-870B-020F57485B08.jpeg

·
Highly Respected Member
13,486 Posts
First photo shows the part number of the crankcase, that's not your engine number.
Second photo is the engine number, however it's not the original VW factory one as that should normally start with a letter.
Pretty sure that it is a recon engine that has had the original numbers ground off and has been re-numbered by the rebuilder. The second giveaway is that the numbers have not been stamped in straight, they have obviously been done by hand as they are wonky. Third giveaway is the entire block has been sprayed silver.

Dave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First photo shows the part number of the crankcase, that's not your engine number.
Second photo is the engine number, however it's not the original VW factory one as that should normally start with a letter.
Pretty sure that it is a recon engine that has had the original numbers ground off and has been re-numbered by the rebuilder. The second giveaway is that the numbers have not been stamped in straight, they have obviously been done by hand as they are wonky. Third giveaway is the entire block has been sprayed silver.

Dave.
Yeah that’s what I thought - they usually have a prefix. Trying to figure out exactly the engine - is it type 1 or 3 etc and if it has flat heads, what year it is etc. I can’t figure it out though because it has no prefix

·
Registered
756 Posts
Disgredarding the 2 letter prefix before the engine number, a beetle or bus engine would have only 6 digits, you have 7.

The older 36hp beetle engines had 7 digits, but this is not an early crankcase.

I was wondering if during the assembly process, the previous engine builder accidently grounded off the engine numbers and then stamped in a random number because it doesn't seem to conform to anything in the engine numbers on any of the VW type engines.

If you know it's a 1200 singleport, then identifying the exact year would be hard without an offical engine number. Your's is a later type crankcase, so anything post '61. The 1200 (34hp) was offered right up to end of production. As your engine has been rebuilt, it could now be using a different year 1200 crankcase with mixed year 1200 components.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yeah that’s what I thought - they usually have a prefix. Trying to figure out exactly the engine - is it type 1 or 3 etc and if it has flat heads, what year it is etc. I can’t figure it out though because it has no prefix
If it's in a beetle or bus then it's a 'type 1' engine. Your case part number starts with a '1' which means type 1 which means beetle. Although 'type 1' normally refers to the whole car (a beetle) rather than the engine in it.

A type 3 case has the oil filler in a different place, a type 1 in a bus (type 2) would have holes for an engine support bar. Any of those can be put in a beetle with the right ancillaries and tinware.

Sorry, but I don't know what 'flat heads' might mean.

I think '71 1200' pretty much describes the engine.

Reactions: Sam_1

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Can't see any evidence of an old engine number having been ground off, but it could be a Genuine VW Replacement crankcase. The stock "universal" replacement case would not have had any stamped number, to allow the engine builder to copy the old number onto the new case. It is possible they didn't have a set of 'Letter' punches, so simply omitted the prefix letter and just stamped the rest of the original Engine number into that case. However, as kajooster said, the Number " 3402169 " refers to a 1959 engine and doesn't make sense on that crankcase.
Check the Vehicle registration document, very few people actually notify DVLA when they replace an engine, so the document may still show the original engine number with the Prefix letter.
A clear picture of one of the the inlet manifold ends, where it bolts to the cylinder head, would also help to confirm if it is a 1200. 1200 inlet manifolds have a small cast flanges, bolted to horizontal ("flat") inlet ports on the heads. 1300 & larger single port engines have pressed steel flanges and angled inlet ports on the heads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated! I should be receiving the new v5 in the next few weeks so hopefully will have the original prefix (recently bought car)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't see any evidence of an old engine number having been ground off, but it could be a Genuine VW Replacement crankcase. The stock "universal" replacement case would not have had any stamped number, to allow the engine builder to copy the old number onto the new case. It is possible they didn't have a set of 'Letter' punches, so simply omitted the prefix letter and just stamped the rest of the original Engine number into that case. However, as kajooster said, the Number " 3402169 " refers to a 1959 engine and doesn't make sense on that crankcase.
Check the Vehicle registration document, very few people actually notify DVLA when they replace an engine, so the document may still show the original engine number with the Prefix letter.
A clear picture of one of the the inlet manifold ends, where it bolts to the cylinder head, would also help to confirm if it is a 1200. 1200 inlet manifolds have a small cast flanges, bolted to horizontal ("flat") inlet ports on the heads. 1300 & larger single port engines have pressed steel flanges and angled inlet ports on the heads.
Thanks for your help! Had a look at the inlet manifolds and they are like you said, and 1200. Thanks for your advice!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts