Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right thats it, was gonna do all the welding before i took the engine out so the car could sit out side and engine in the garage. however sods laws has intervined and said NO!!!!
so how the hell do you get the engine out?? once the bolts have been removed and the engine dropped what is the best way of raisin the rear of the car in the air high enough to clear the engine?????
ropes?? pulleys?? strong freinds??? ramps???

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
I take it that you have a Beetle ? If you haven't gone too far, drive car up ramps, makes it easier to get to the stuff underneath, but then you need a large trolley jack to lower the engine to the ground.
If your ramps are high enough (and trolley jack tall enough), the engine can then be dragged out. If you are replacing the rear valence, cut the old one out first, then you won't even need ramps. Where in Bolton are you ?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
which everway you do it you will need a fair size trolley jack, I normally once everything is disconnected and undone with a trolley jack under the sump plate undo the 4 bolts holding engine in , pull the engine back towards the rear of the car it may need a bit of a wiggle, taking the weight of the motor on the trolley jack.then gently lower on the jack to the floor. once on the floor slide the jack out from under the motor.
To jack the car up place the trolley jack under the floorpan in the middle of the car just in front of the front gearbox mount, you will see a flat area I use that, put chocks in front of the front wheels and jack up, once at a reasonable height, you should be able to slide the motor out from underneath by tilting it backwards till the fanhousing clears the bodywork and hey presto job done,
hope this helps there are bound to be some whizz kids that do it a different way but this works for me and you can do it on your own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts