Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum.

I'm new here but hoping someone can give me some hints to car problem?

Basically my 1992 Golf Driver has a problem with over revving when you put the car in to Neutral. I'm fine driving along the motorway but it is a problem slowing down and coming off of motorways, general driving and obviously sitting in traffic is a bit of a nightmare and noisy!

The car, when in motion, will try to accelerate on it's own to a comfortable speed for whichever gear I have selected.

Because of my car parts ignorance I do not know what to look for, except that next to the carb is a round metal diaphragm type object, with a piston coming out at the front, attached to a lever attached to the rest of the engine.
The piston when pushed in lowers the revs and when pulled out raises them. It is stuck open - about 1 1/2 inches.

What is this part? ( I thought it might be something to do with the Automatic choke!!)
Can this diaphragm be replaced separately to the carb?
Does it contain a vacuum? I ask because it has a small hole at the front, in the metal, below the piston itself and I think that's the problem - no pressure to bring the piston back in.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Mcpee70

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
the bit youre referring to is the idle control valve best really not to play with it!

Its worth checking the rubber mounting block between carb & manifold..they tend to split & cause high idle

Get a haynes manual

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.