Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted a 1600sp in a 1300, 72 bug. Connected everything up and it started up, it ran for 10 mins or so,then turn it off, no problems yet.
Next day I replaced all the tinware around engine and a general tidy then it wouldn't start, not turning over, no clicking, nothing at all. I then tried bump starting it, towing it. It's sent loads of oil all up the right hand side of the engine around oil filler and below.
Car sat on drive looking sad, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
Start at the beginning, do the lights etc. still work ?, if not, you've got a Battery problem, If lights still work, battery may be OK, but starter motor, or starter switch or the wiring between the 2 is giving problems. Check these things first.
The Oil all over the RH side probably came out of the breather (next to the filler cap), is the breather hose missing ?

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that Laurence, lights working, breather hose attached and not cracked. How would I check the starter, etc? Could the oil come from the air filter, it's a standard one? Worst case scenario, how whats the easiest way to find out if it's seized?
Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
if it's seized the whells will lock up when you are in any gear...

you said you conected the time ware after you ran it.... did you have the fan housing and fan belt on - your engine will get very hot if not the barrels will then contract faster the the pistons and your engine can sieze this way... but if you've towed it it sounds like your engine still turns - oh yeah if you can turn the engine around by the pully / fly wheel nut you should feel resistance at four points in two revolutions - but it should all be equal.

Could check for a spark on the leads but if it's not turning or clicking sounds like a bad earth to / from the starter and or rely (if you are running a dyno) - knock it out of gear and turn the ign on then get a test light on the live feed to the starter if nothing is there check all earth - you can do this by conecting you test light to a live feed and touching the earth - but remeber that if an earth can feed backwards it will so it's not a defo test - i'd take them off and clean them up does no harm anyway and give it a go - sounds like a simple earth fault but the oil is worrying...

good luck :hangloose :)

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Kaya, fan housing and belt was already on, it was the bits of tinware around the side of the engine and near the pulley, should I put the car on axle stands to check if the wheels lock in gear or just rock the car?

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine not seized, hooray. Cleaned contacts, engine now turning over slow, have put battery on charge.

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
Good news, When you get her started, watch the engine while it warms up. to see where that oil is coming from, and post again.

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the engine running, can't find oil leaks either cold or warmed up, which I suppose is good but dipstick says oil level is fine but oil light comes on, i've put 1/2 a litre in to be safe would the oil light come on with too much in? Plenty of oil around the bottom of bell housing, this was clean when I put the engine in, guessing its drips for before.
Are there other checks I can make or is it time for a garage to look at it?
Just to be cheeky, another problem.
The horn don't work, when I connect up the wires under the wing theres a burning smell, the horn itself is ok i've tested straight from the battery. Is this an earth problem, are there any common faults and do I start at the horn and work to the steering wheel or the other way round?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
Oil light should not come on whilst running. Don't drive it until this is sorted, just run the engine for no more than a few seconds each time, whilst you test the Oil light.
It may just be a faulty oil pressure switch, or a short circuit in the wiring from that switch to the light in the speedo, but if it isn't either of those, there's no oil pressure in the engine, and it will seize-up very quickly if you drive it. Oil light does not come on if you put too much oil in, (the engine will just spit it out of the breather, into the air cleaner, or blow out the flywheel oil seal).
The Horn is the least of your worries, but a burning smell tells me that there is something wrong in the wiring of the car, so disconnect it for now. Perhaps it's related to a wiring fault in the oil pressure light ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's not good to have to much oil in - too much pressure. replacing the oil sender is easy - but check the wiring first... if you do replace it by careful not to thread the case when you screw it back in ;)

The horn is a pain - it's earthed to the outer steering colum - i'd just wire it to a aux switch on you dash - but if you want it proper then strip down the wiring and replace it - it's very basic - i still had the problem of the horn engaging when doping sharp rights tho.....

:hangloose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts