Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a few running probs with a 2l type4 engine. When its warmed up the engine struggles to run and starts to splutter and back fire causing it to eventually cut out.
Recently fitted a pair of kadron carbs as well as replacing the fuel pump, leads, plugs and dissy cap.
Tuning is prooving impossible due to the engine constantly spluttering and cutting out. It was also doing this before the carbs were initially changed.
Any suggestions of what could be the problem as I need to get my van running asap! :(

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Check the valve clearances when COLD. Set them as per the book.

Give the ignition system a good service checking all parts.

It's a question of eliminating possible causes of the problem 1 by 1.

Are the thermo-bellows working OK..?

Have you set the idle mixture OK..?

Do Kadrons have cold-start devices on the choke..?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check the valve clearances a while ago, but may go over them again just to make sure.

Most parts of the ignition system have been replace, bar the coil and condenser (there are 2! :confused: ) so I'll swap the coil for the one on the bug in the morning to see if its that...

Yeti, there are no thermo bellows on a type 4 engine, and no chokes or cold start devices on the kadrons, plus this isn't a recent thing, I've been trying to fix it over the whole summer, and temp isn't altering the way its running. I've set the mixture to the 'start point' of 2 turns out, but I can't do any more than that because the engine is running so irratically, that I can't tune them properly!

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've had something similar happen on three occasions. On two of those occasions it was a faulty condensor, and the other time it was a faulty coil.
With the condensor the engine ran roughly, and after a couple of minutes running it would loose power, splutter a lot and stall. After a couple of minutes rest it would start, and then do the same thing again.
With the coil going, the engine didn't feel powerful, felt stuttery as the revs went up, and occasionally it would feel as if it cut out, then back in again. Sometimes it backfired. When the coil went it packed up totally within half an hour, going from the odd splutter to juddering and kangarooing in that time. Luckily I was on my way to a VW show at Avon Park (aka Shakespeare County Raceway), and just made it through the gate before the coil packed in, and was able to buy a new one at the show. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok ive swapped the coil over for another one which I know works, sorted the condensor but now it wont kick in at all!! It turns over but just wont kick in, I've checked everything is connected up and in the right place but no luck :confused: :(

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Presuming you've connected everything up right, and the replacement parts aren't faulty, then no reason why it shouldn't start. :(
Double check the wiring is the right way round (condensor goes to the negative side of the coil), then maybe check the points haven't been disturbed when connecting/fitting the condensor, and recheck timing perhaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts