Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the common areas that exhaust fumes get into the car?? I could drive no more than ten mins without nearly spewing this morning (no, the hangover had nothing to do with that, honest) I have a two hour journey ahead of me tomorow and would like to get at least an idea of where to start looking to sort the problem!!!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you think i can block them up for the journey then? Im not using them

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
could be the seal around the tin ware to body allowing fumes to be recirculated through the cooling air.
remove the tubes off the fan cowling and plug the holes with aerosol tops and jubilee clips. that way you will not loose cooling air

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great idea, i'll try it. It just needs to be a temporary fix till i can get it back home in the garage

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
It's the heat exchangers or a hole in your exhaust spewing gas into your engine bay due to poorly fitted tinware.

Either way you need to disconnect the air-feed from the fan-shroud to the heat-exchanges as per the previous post.

I did this myself once with copious amounts of duct-tape.!!
(A get you home fix)

Sounds like you need an new exhaust system mate.!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Like everyone says - it sounds like your heat exchangers are holed. You can cure this temporarily by removing the one or both of the two concertina tubes that link the heat exchangers to the heater channels. These are (sort of) in the rear wheel arches - lie on the floor and you'll see them.
Before you start, use the open/shut heater contols, and try to figure out which exchanger is holed. That way, you can keep the other one connected, and have a bit of heat for your journey.
Once you remove the concertina pipe, you'll need to close the hole off, using the heater controls/shutter.
Just as an aside, I always reckon that if you go to see a vw, and those concertina pipes are missing, then you can be sure that the heat exchangers are holed.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, i have another theory about the fumes coming in through the tunnel. Possibly due to an "off" inspection cover behind the front beam, thus forcing air/fumes through the tunnel and from the back, up through the space at the gear lever??? It seems worse when the windows are open and the draught sucks the air right through the car! The heaters are not connected at present.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts