Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has told me how he has a hankering for an X5.

Has anyone had one? What are they like.

The only thing in his favour is the company fuel card which means petrol isn't a problem.

He wants it to be around 3 years old. What are his options? Have the large petrol engined jobbies dropped in price?

:)

Wiltsteve

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,981 Posts
Why does he need 4WD?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes they have dropped hugely! they are now good value.

His fuel card will get lots of exercise, but he would get alot of enjoyment out of a 4.4 or 4.8. These have dropped the most as people are scared of the petrol bill but they are worth it.

Where I work sells lots of high spec diesel ones about 05 reg with low miles for about £18k and they sell very well lately. But since the fuel costs are not an issue I would recommend a petrol they are far nicer to drive and cheaper to buy at the moment.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
i heard that the 3.0D was the one to go for, but if petrol isn't an issue, i'd go for a bigger 4.0+ surely thats gonna be the most fun.

·
walking the black dog
65,372 Posts
They are immensely capable vehicles on road, the diesels make the most sense, but if you're affluent, then the petrols are great 2nd bargains right now, as they are no longer the 4X4 du jour.

Although other road users will hate you, there is something a little over aggressive about them out on the road.

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No matter which engine you go for, you'll still look a cock.

5-series for the WIN! a far better vehicle than the X5 in every single way.

How sad....

(p.s. It is 7 series or nothing at all my 'will learn some day' friend.)
(p.p.s. or not in my dad's case!)

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,644 Posts
32,496 Posts

How sad....

(p.s. It is 7 series or nothing at all my 'will learn some day' friend.)
(p.p.s. or not in my dad's case!)
Nothing to do with green eyes mon ami.

Everything to do with the X5 being a dreadfull thing.

I suppose that it doesn't help that i think 4x4s generally are a pointless exercise in inappropriate design solutions for 99% of users anyway, and are ALL with the possible exception of the Range Rover all as ugly as a box of Jeremy Beadles.

But believe me, if i wanted an over tall, wallowy, over priced, ugly, inefficient and unpleasant motorcar that made other road users look at me like i raped babies, then the BMW X5 would be at least in the top 10 on my list.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My brother in law has had an X5 and a Merc ML as his last two cars and says the ML is superior in every way.

Personally I'd rather have a luxury cruiser - S class, 7 series or A8.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
Wilts. I quite like them, although I don't like the ones with the plastic bits stuck on them (gotta be colour coded). I'm not keen on oversize wheels etc - got to be factory spec. Better built than the RangeRover.
They are pretty cheap in petrol form as well nowadays.

But they do have an alleged bad image (don't all BMW's?) Personally I couldn't give a fuck what people think about me or my car, but thats just me (M3, Range Rover, next car will be a Merkerva tank for invading the West Bank..)

Tell your dad to get it kitted out with an LPG conversion and it will not be too much more expensive to run than a 2+ litre petrol saloon. I've got a Range rover with the BMW 4.4 v8 (before they went to jag engines). Lovely engine. With LPG at 50p per litre (and less) I get the equivalent to 30 - 36 mpg (was better when petrol was twice as expensive..)

Unlike the folks above, I don't like ML's. No better to drive than an X5 in my opinion and rather dull to look at.

32,496 Posts
The Volvo XC90 is less offensive, the ML merc is quite unpleasant in my humble (Ex business partner had one that i drove regularly, no wonder he kept wanting to use my car).

But i can't get past the fact that a 5 series, E class or A6 would be a better vehicle in every way for use on tarmac.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts