Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not usually one for rant threads but this just seems to have pushed me the wrong way;

I bought some stuff from a fellow Vdubber on another forum.
My Paypal password isn't working. Haven't used it for a couple of months so maybe I put in the wrong password. No problem I think, I send a request to get my password changed. I wait for the email, nothing. Wait a couple of hours, nothing. Send the request again and wait overnight - nothing.

I phone Paypal's customer service. Apparently my account is restricted as someone has tried to fraudulently use my Paypal account in November (which is quite odd considering it was the same date I used my Paypal account legitimatly and it worked) Apparently I received an email about this - which I don't recall receiving and I'm sure I'd remember something as serious as that.

Right, so what do I need to do to have the restriction lifted?
Fax a utility bill over to them confirming my name and address. Only trouble is it's 2008 and who the hell has a fax machine these days? (even work don't have one!)
Okay, so how about I confirm the card details that are already on the account - after all there'd be no point me trying to gain access fraudulently to an account if I already know the card details on the account surely?
Nope, has to be a utility bill.
Okay, how about if I scan in a utility bill and email it to Paypal?
Yes that's acceptable. All you need to do is log into your Paypal account and send it to the security coded email in there. Er.... the whole reason I called in the first place is because I CAN'T get into my Paypal account, so how the hell am I supposed to send an email to an address I can only access from my Paypal account?

I can't even set up another Paypal account because my card is linked to the account that I can't access. The only way I could actually use Paypal now is if I cancel my card and order a replacement - which I'm certainly not going to do just for that.

Whilst I was on the phone to them, Paypal supposidly sent a few emails to me but I didn't receive any of them. They then started to blame my internet service provider but I assured them there was no problems because a) I'm receiving other emails no problem and b) I actually work for the company that provides my internet service, so if there were any problems I'd already know!

Had to resort to posting off a cheque to the person I bought the stuff from. Felt really bad about this as I'd already promised to pay them by Paypal so they got the payment immediatly. :(

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
never had any joy with paypal either, ive tried to verify my account several times (where they send you 2 small payments etc etc) hasn't worked any of the times so now i can only use it pay for things rather than recieve payment :mad:

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
paypal are a bunch of clowns, I had similar fun when my account got 'restricted' for some unknown reason - I spent a few days emailing customer 'service' and they suggested the same thing, I needed to log on and change my password - not possible if my account is locked.

in the end ot took me another five or six emails explaining in

very
small
words

that my account was locked before they posted me a letter with a new password.

donkeys.

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing - the security methods are a bit odd.

If I can confirm the card details of the card on that account, that would make sense as the only the cardholder should know these details and there's no point in a fraudster trying to access an account that they already know the card details for.

However, it would be very easy for a fraudster to either get hold of a carelessly discarded utility bill or to have a fake one made up. And the recipient isn't gonna know it's dodgy because it's only a fax, not the original copy.
:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.