Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am going to look at a 1966 1600 tomorrow which I am thinking of buying. What should I be looking out for to make sure this is not a bad buy - ie typical rust areas and faults etc. This car is a non runner and I am looking to restore it over the next 6 months or so.

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Best advice? Take someone with you who knows where to look.

No dis'pect meant, but there are a LOT of places to look :rolleyes:

You will no doubt get lots of opinions, but mine two pennies are as follows (assuming your're looking at a beetle not a van):-
Heater channels ('sills' on a non-vw) inside and outside of car. Botton of A-posts. Inside all wheel arches. 'Framehead', which is the front portion of the chassis spine under the fuel tank. Bulkhead behind framehead. Floor pans, inc. battery tray under rear seat. Rear quarter panels while you have seat out. Spare wheel well. Screen surrounds. Boot/engine lid seal area. Where wings meet body. Gutters.

That's just for a start :D

BTW - 1600's didn't appear in beetles until later, so engine has been changed. Not a major problem, but gearbox might be lower geared and engine integrity should be checked. a 30 second check is to grab the bigger of the two pulleys and try and move it f'wards / b'wards. Any movement at all is bad news.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

that gives me a lot to chew on for tomorrow evening. Ive had quite a few campers but never a Bug. I cant wait!!
I suppose the biggest worry for me is the structural rusting. I am going to take the engine out and do a complete rebuild / tune on whatever I buy. At least this way I will be able to take my time on completing the car in full before fitting the limp back in - well thats the idea anyway ;)

Are there any good sources for buying a solid project Beetle?

Cheers guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts