Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fit my serpentine kit today. Fitted the centre pulley and mechanism no problem.

Removed the old alternator pulley but when I fitted the new serp one it fouls on the alternator!!

Any one else had this issue or is it because I have different alternator to everyone else :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, just to update you all.

I had to file/trim the 4 raised edges that exist on the face of the alternator.

Glad I had the engine out the car otherwise I may have missed that it touched.

Michael

·
Registered
670 Posts
i got my one in the post today ans actually did read the instrutions before i fitted it , and it does say in the de-structions that it may foul on bosche alternators and a 9 inch grinder may be needed!

·
Registered
806 Posts
and also..... easier to adjust the belt and keep it at the correct tension...
the belts are wide style like modern car belts... so they actually last longer...
not that you are not supposed to replace them... just less likely to disintegrate.
easier to change the belt should you need to...

If you are thinking of replacing both pulleys on a normal T1 engine... it can be more cost effective..

and with the colours available.. does really look the business...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Clarky said:
better than standard system for higher revving engines, oh and it looks good!
clarky,

can you post an end product pic on here for awareness? cheers

·
Registered
435 Posts
Clarky said:
better than standard system for higher revving engines, oh and it looks good!
Who says it's better?

Higher revving... I run a OEM alternator pulley with a Berg crank pulley and never had a problem up to 8000rpm.

I even got the guys at BMD to admit it was just for looks and there's no proof it's better.

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
Mr.010 said:
Who says it's better?

Higher revving... I run a OEM alternator pulley with a Berg crank pulley and never had a problem up to 8000rpm.

I even got the guys at BMD to admit it was just for looks and there's no proof it's better.
He he --- Yes :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had to file mine as per the instructions, but i only had to file the one at 12 o clock and not all of them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
each to there own is what i say , i bought one because one they look good plus i like the idea of some thing different ,it just tiggled my fancy !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts